Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > car rental at Union Station, Portland

Date: 05/07/09 10:38
car rental at Union Station, Portland
Author: mbdey60

Are there any car rental agencies located in Union Station in Portland.

Date: 05/07/09 11:10
Re: car rental at Union Station, Portland
Author: calzephyr48

Yes. 3 majors, in terminal, per trip.amtrak.com. You can book directly from Amtrak.com. As one other pointed out to me, he'd not seen a desk there. I'm sure they'll deliver, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/09 11:24 by calzephyr48.

Date: 05/07/09 13:58
Author: Waybiller

Enterprise, Avis, and Hertz will all come pick you up (or reimburse a taxi) as long as you arrange in advance. I think Hertz is the only one with a courtesy phone, but I could be wrong.

Date: 05/07/09 14:33
Author: unionstationmaster

Hertz has a direct dial phone in the baggage room lobby, they will pickup. Dollar is the next closest agency, they will pickup. Enterprise, Avis, Thrifty and Budget all have downtown locations and will pickup or remimburse cab fare. All close by 600 pm with shorter hours on weekends.

Date: 05/07/09 15:45
Author: TCnR

Often the only place to get a rental after 'normal' hours is the Airport, the Portland LRV system does go out to the Airport. Often the Airport has additional fees or Taxes though. Good news, bad news.

Date: 05/07/09 15:52
Author: krapplem

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Often the only place to get a rental after
> 'normal' hours is the Airport, the Portland LRV
> system does go out to the Airport. Often the
> Airport has additional fees or Taxes though. Good
> news, bad news.

I do not have personal experience however it has been posted on TO that the airport rental offices will reimburse you the taxi fare from PUS to the airport.

Date: 05/07/09 16:28
Author: ED3

yes Hertz will pay taxi to airport and you can return in town. They will taxi you to the station.

Date: 05/07/09 17:24
Author: mbdey60

I thank all of you that provided me with the information.

Date: 05/09/09 01:05
Author: infrared

On one trip to PDX (Portland), #14 was delayed 5 hr due to a southbound freight with a car having a broken wheel. A track inspector had to run in front of us at an agonizing pace.

We phoned Hertz and informed them we'd be around 5 hr late which put our arrival substantially past the downtown office (AKA Amtrak station office) closing time. They said we could pick up our reserved car at the airport.

When we got into PDX, we talked to one of the station agents and explained the situation to him. He hailed a cab, put us onboard with our luggage, etc and instructed the driver to take us to the airport and to come back to the station and he'd give the cabby a voucher to charge Amtrak for the trip to the airport.

Hertz at the airport let us have the car for the same price as downtown, since that was where the reservation was made originally and said we could return the car downtown. On return, they promptly drove us to the Amtrak station. We couldn't have asked for better service.

By the way, our final destination usually is Lincoln City, on the coast to just get away and relax. A great place to do that! We stay at the Ester Lee Motel (they're online), which has motel style rooms as well as cottages which will sleep up to 7 sometimes more people and have kitchens with dishes, etc. The cottages sit on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, with an easy walk to the beach. And the price is REALLY reasonable.

On the way in McMinnville (don't blink or you'll miss it) is the Evergreen Aviation Museum, home to the "Spruce Goose" (and much, much more). One cannot really appreciate the size of the Spruce Goose until you see it in person. Huge doesn't really describe it.

Anyway, have fun in the Portland area.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds