Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Passenger Trains > Moonlight Dome Amtrak train 5 to Salt Lake City

Date: 10/11/09 18:11
Moonlight Dome Amtrak train 5 to Salt Lake City
Author: cozephyr

Moonlight Dome owned by the Promontory Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, Ogden, Utah, was on Amtrak train 5, the California Zephyr, between Denver, CO, and Salt Lake City, UT, October 11, 2009. The C&O 1850 - Budd built dome - 5 roomette - 1 double bedroom - 3 DR sleeper, built for the ill-fated Chessie train, was sold to B&O numbered 7600. Work by the current owners has the car making an autumn outing (into Denver on Amtrak train 6 the evening of October 9th).

Fresh snow and bitterly cold temperatures didn't hinder the groups' outing.

Date: 10/11/09 18:26
Frosty trip to find Moonlight Dome
Author: cozephyr

Autumn was quickly fading in the Colorado Rockies as heavy frost coated pine trees in and around Black Hawk, Colorado, October 11, 2009. The cottonwoods will soon be bare after the cold spell that gripped eastern Colorado October 9-12, 2009.

Date: 10/11/09 18:48
Re: Frosty trip to find Moonlight Dome
Author: cutboy2

Fantastic. This car really introduces me to passenger rail on a Cincinnati Railroad Club trip 1964 Cincinnati ti Baltimore and return. National Limited and Metropolitan. The bug stuck. Thanks.

Date: 10/11/09 18:49
Author: retcsxcfm

This car and her sisters were sold to the Seaboard Coast Line.

Uncle Joe-just east of Tampa

Date: 10/11/09 19:03
Author: DavidP

sdp35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This car and her sisters were sold to the Seaboard
> Coast Line.
>
>
> Uncle Joe-just east of Tampa

I think they were only leased by te SCL for use on the Florida Special between Richmond and Miami.

Dave

Date: 10/11/09 21:56
Author: MW3

Nice pictures of the Moonlight Dome heading back to Utah! I caught it coming into Denver on 10/9/09 on Amtrak 6. These pictures are from Nunn, CO as it was detouring via Wyoming due to a derailment on the regular line west of Denver.

Date: 10/11/09 22:02
Author: MW3

Here is a closer shot of the dome and also a shot of some of the local residents of Nunn, CO.

Date: 10/12/09 10:01
Author: 1372

Wonderful to see this distinctive car nicely preserved, green glass and all. But black trucks? NON, NON, NON! Thanks for the pix, Kurt.

Date: 10/12/09 10:35
Author: dan

they plan to paint it chessie, i would vote for a grande paint job like 1248-1250 seeing how it salt lake based. But it ran in B&O paint the longest but, chessie paint has orange! 1 side grande 1 side chessie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/09 22:28 by dan.

Date: 10/12/09 17:16
Author: bandob

But black trucks? NON, NON, NON!

But, 1372, the trucks were black (or very dark blue) on the B&O here in 1964.....

Backing into Camden Station, Baltimore, with the Iron Horse Days Special Train.

B&OB

Date: 10/13/09 17:51
Re: Moonlight Dome Amtrak train 5 to Salt Lake City
Author: kklarr

Thanks everyone for sharing these Great pictures of the Moonlight Dome, I was working as a crew member on this trip and it was lots of fun. This was our 2nd trip to Denver this year and we should be making more trips with the car next year.

Thanks
Kerry Klarr

Date: 10/13/09 18:35
Moonlight Dome Amtrak train 5 to Salt Lake City
Author: jp1822

Great pictures!

It's always nice to see these dome cars restored and "out and about" in the 21st century.

It's also interesting to me to see the different types of domes, particular the window/glass arrangement/placement. Moonlight Dome definitely has one that is interesting!

Date: 10/19/09 11:03
Re: Moonlight Dome Amtrak train 5 to Salt Lake City
Author: SP3201

That brings back memories. Back in the mid 70's along with the SP approved 3/4 domes they used on the SF Zephyr amtrak finally convinced SP that Moonlight Dome was also OK to use. Also Sunlight dome was assigned. Rode them both many times between Oak-Sac. I never did see Starlight dome on the train though. If you cant "vestubule" the next best place is always the dome.
Man I missthose days.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.08 seconds