Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Passenger Trains > Update from TRAC Ventura CA Conference

Date: 11/07/09 12:10
Update from TRAC Ventura CA Conference
Author: Winnemucca

This morning Jonathan Hutchison, Amtrak public relations spokesperson, spoke at the annual Train Riders Association (TRAC) conference in Ventura, CA. He said to "stay tuned" to an announcement after January 1 concerning "dramatic and bold" plans concerning new long distance equipment purchases. He also said that Amtrak management had "figured out a way" to run the Sunset daily with only a small capital/operating budget inrease. He did not mention weather or not this included filling in the infamous New Orleans - Florida gap. He said the daily Sunset operational decision was now before the Amtrak Board. He also said that running a tri-weekly train "did not make sense in 2009, 2005 or 1979".

Date: 11/07/09 18:17
Re: Update from TRAC Ventura CA Conference
Author: railcity

Winnemucca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This morning Jonathan Hutchison, Amtrak public
> relations spokesperson, spoke at the annual Train
> Riders Association (TRAC) conference in Ventura,
> CA. He said to "stay tuned" to an announcement
> after January 1 concerning "dramatic and bold"
> plans concerning new long distance equipment
> purchases. He also said that Amtrak management had
> "figured out a way" to run the Sunset daily with
> only a small capital/operating budget inrease. He
> did not mention weather or not this included
> filling in the infamous New Orleans - Florida gap.
> He said the daily Sunset operational decision was
> now before the Amtrak Board. He also said that
> running a tri-weekly train "did not make sense in
> 2009, 2005 or 1979".

That what i always said before a tri-weekly trains does not make sense, Its Great to be right. We don't need 3 days week trains, we need daily services 7 days a week, not 3 days. I hope amtrak is see the light about 3 days week services, it does not work.

Date: 11/07/09 19:27
Author: sevenmilesiding

Very positive news if true, but what of the Cardinal? Wish we could hear one way or another what if any plans Amtrak has here. Anyway, thanks for posting the news.

Winnemucca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This morning Jonathan Hutchison, Amtrak public
> relations spokesperson, spoke at the annual Train
> Riders Association.... He also said that
> running a tri-weekly train "did not make sense in
> 2009, 2005 or 1979".

Date: 11/07/09 21:49
Author: Cumbresfan

Just read Don Phillips opinion piece in the latest issue of Trains Magazine. He's calling for Boardman's ouster if he doesn't get specific on changes to Amtrak, especially with a passenger rail friendly president. A year has been lost and none of the type of information mentioned above has been forthcoming. He postures another outcome of Amtrak stagnation -- transfer of more operations to other rail operators with support from subsidies that let them make a small profit and Amtrak becomes mainly a reservation service. An interesting proposition; one that may come to pass if Amtrak can't get its act together. But then again, it's been almost 40 years and we're still waiting.

Date: 11/08/09 06:25
Author: floridajoe2001

Good news, of course, but when an Amtrak Official uses terms like "stay tuned" or "dramatic and bold", I don't get too excited.

To me, "stay tuned" means "I don't know when we'll get around to it", and given Amtrak's inability to order equipment, "dramatic and bold" would be a car order for one coach.

I also realize that all our cynical doubts will be washed away when Amtrak finally places and order, but for the moment they seem paralyzed.

Date: 11/08/09 17:48
Author: Winnemucca

Actually Huthison (the Amtrak source for the info) referenced Philips column (without mentioning his name) He said something like, (and I'm papraphrasing here. This is not a direct quote): "Contrary to printed opinion pieces we at Amtrak are, indeed, moving ahead with exciting plans for the future. I'm just not yet at liberty to tell you any more". Then he went on to talk about the "bold and exciting" upcoming news.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0744 seconds