Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Passenger Trains > Duct tape question

Date: 12/15/09 07:23
Duct tape question
Author: santafedan

I have travelled more than 30,000 miles on Amtrak over the years. I know about the rattles and the tape Fix. My question is "What about a border crossing?"
I will be crossing the the US/Canada border twice in June. Will a small roll of Duct Tape set off alarms? Should I use the yellow tape? I guess the gray/aluminum kind has metal in it and it might set off a detector. Better safe than sorry.

Date: 12/15/09 07:39
Re: Duct tape question
Author: rombout137

Are you crossing in New York or Washington? I don't know how it works out west, but on the Maple Leaf and Adirondack, they walk through the train and speak to each passenger. I suppose if they suspect something they will search you but I can't see duct tape getting you in too much trouble. Any time I have crossed the border on those trains, some idiot decided to bring drugs on board and cost the whole train hours of delay. That's about the worst of it.

Date: 12/15/09 09:54
Author: WichitaJct

When I came back from Alaska in 2008 I took Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. U.S. Customs at Vancouver was just like an airport--bags were screened and went through the x-ray machine and the whole deal. It was a pretty thorough inspection.

Date: 12/15/09 10:10
Author: joemvcnj

There are more concerned with how much fruit your are bringing over than duct tape.

Date: 12/15/09 13:04
Author: dcautley

Believe it or not, the fruit actually matters. We don't need any more exotic pests than we already have (think Zebra Mussels).

Date: 12/15/09 13:16
Author: WAF

What makes duct tape a terrorist threat?

Date: 12/15/09 13:38
Author: sixaxlecentury

I had a roll of Quack tape with me on my entire cross country trip and cruise to Canada/Alaska.

Date: 12/15/09 14:28
Author: robj

Maybe more of a problem on your first date with a new girlfriend but if you are interested in problem items go to the TSA website.

Bob

Date: 12/15/09 15:49

The problem is TSA, not the item

Date: 12/15/09 16:59
Author: Allred

You run around the country with duct tape, and yet you don't work for Amtrak?
Sheesh, foamers!

Date: 12/15/09 17:24
Author: mp613

I think a lack of a passport will cause you more problems than duct tape. I took the Cascades to Vancouver the week before Thanksgiving. I had to show my passport to buy the ticket at AMTRAK. The number goes in the computer when the reservation is made. I had to show my passport as I boarded the Cascades. When I got in the Vancouver Station they asked for my passport, checked it against a list, asked why I was there, and "Thank You." To say it took a minute might be an exageration. (45 sec?) Going into Canada they didn't X-Ray my backpack.

Coming back at the Vancouver Station the U.S. Immigration asked for may passport, scanned it, and said "Thank You." Thirty seconds is an exageration. Then a dog didn't have enough interest to sniff me, they X-Rayed my backpack, and "Thank You."

I had some rolls of coins in my backpack that I thought might cause interest, but no. I heard later that they are most interested in liquids. Maybe things like hair lotion or mouthwash will show up on the X-Ray and attract attention.

My observation four weeks ago was that if you have your passport and answer the question "yes/no" you will breeze through. Everybody I met was polite.

Coming back on the Cascades they stop the train at the border and Customs comes on board and speak with everybody. Have the custom declaration filled out and answer questions: "How long in Canada? Any fruit? Purchases? Thank you."

jd

Date: 12/15/09 19:19
Author: gyralite

I have to wonder if these guys that think it's normal to have to carry around duct tape to survive a train trip on Amtrak are the ones that think Amtrak is such a fine organization. Gee, I don't remember the last time I had to carry duct tape on an American or United airline flight. I truly enjoy passenger train travel. It's just too bad there aren't any regularly scheduled Amtrak trains that measure up to a public that wants service and don't really care what kind of locomotive is pulling the train. Service is not having to carry your own duct tape to make online repairs. It's a sign of lack of maintenance due either to budgetary issues (which means their trying to do too much with the resources they have) or "I don't care" attitudes, or perhaps a little of both.

Date: 12/16/09 09:01
Author: Nick

dcautley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Believe it or not, the fruit actually matters. We
> don't need any more exotic pests than we already
> have (think Zebra Mussels).

Or stink bugs (I hate those little buggers)!

Date: 12/16/09 11:34

Never been on a plane that I needed duct tape. If I did, I would get back off.

Date: 12/16/09 18:21
Author: TS2010

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never been on a plane that I needed duct tape. If
> I did, I would get back off.

Ihave.I used to work for a Large commuter airline (Still large, Still in busness. One night I boarded a flight for a trip to visit some friends at the other end of the state. I looked out the window and noticed the side wal wasnt fastend in for at least three row. I could see the fresh air venting and stuctural members behind the wall. Needless to say When I got back I filed a report that caused quite an up roar, but I never saw a situation like that again either.

Date: 12/17/09 02:55
Author: gobbl3gook

You're welcome to carry as much duct tape as you like to and from Canada.

Limited only by the size and weight restrictions of Amtrak's baggage policy.

When in doubt, take a whole case of the stuff...

Ted in OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds