Home Open Account Help 159 users online

Passenger Trains > Buying two seats for yourself?

Date: 12/16/09 21:21
Buying two seats for yourself?
Author: oilcan

Will Amtrak allow this on the LD trains? Traveling coach overnight isn't too bad if you have both seats to stretch out in (at least for me). Wondering if there's a policy regarding this. Thanks.

Date: 12/16/09 23:06
Re: Buying two seats for yourself?
Author: tinytrains

When add the extra seat and your meals, it may be pretty close to the cost of a small bedroom.

As for the second seat, I don't see why not. People buy extra seats for large items, and big butts all the time on airlines. In fact, Southwest make big folks buy an extra seat.

Date: 12/17/09 05:00
Author: KV1guy

Dont think so. You cant buy 2 tickets with the same name. If you put down say you spouse, and they dont show...they count that as a no show and will resell the seat if given the chance.

Date: 12/17/09 06:28
Author: BaltimoreOhio

I boarded at Baltimore one time early in the AM heading south to Richmond, VA. The train was packed, a lot of people got on and we were all scrambling to grab the first seat we could find. As my eyes got used to the dark, I realized that in the seat I was standing in front of was a passenger by the window, and in in the aisle seat was a giant stuffed teddy bear (like what you see at fairs, this thing was bigger than a child). My man wasn't too happy when I woke him up but I jokingly asked if he had a ticket for the bear, otherwise I needed the seat. Much to my surprise he answered that he did. Now, I could tell right away that mentally this guy wasn't right (although who knows, I am a railfan, maybe he could have said the same thing about me!), and to make a long story short, I flagged the conductor who made him move the bear to the end of the car (it wouldn't fit on the overhead rack). Fortunately he got off at Washington, because I could tell the whole time that he wasn't happy I made the bear move. And it was quite the site to see him try to carry this bear (and his bag) down the platform. So I learned that day you can't buy a ticket for a teddy bear.

Date: 12/17/09 06:37
Author: DavidP

KV1guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont think so. You cant buy 2 tickets with the
> same name. If you put down say you spouse, and
> they dont show...they count that as a no show and
> will resell the seat if given the chance.

When tickets are collected present both and tell the conductor your spouse/partner/friend is in the restroom/lounge/diner, etc...or say you're travelling with your twin sibling and periodically move from one seat to the other....:-)

Dave

Date: 12/17/09 11:01
Author: RevRandy

when I need to travel coach, I usually buy a space for myself and a half-price ticket for my child. Darn if that child isn't often in the restroom. But, I have paid for both seats and transportation for two, and I travel much more comfortably (provided, of course, that I am dealing with a reservation only train). Amtrak gets its money and I get my space. On something like AutoTrain, with meals included in coach, the savings can be great.

Until Amtrak re-institutes either 1+1 parlor service (the good old days on the New Haven and the GM&O are fondly remembered) and/or a modern equivalent of Slumbercoach, this is the best alternative.

Now, where is that daughter of mine?

Date: 12/17/09 12:35
Author: fjc

I have heard of folks that will pay for an extra fare because they don't want someone sitting next to them on a train like the San Joaquins, infact Grandpa had a passenger once that refused to remove his belongings and he told him he'd charge him for the seat and the guy paid the fare.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/09 13:55 by fjc.

Date: 12/17/09 12:46
Author: MarcMeoff

OK, here's a variation of that question. Suppose you buy a roomette for yourself and while you're traveling you meet a friend (or someone that you'd like to be your friend :))who's travelling coach.

There are two bunks in the roomette and you've paid for them both and the other passenger has paid his/her coach fare. Can you invite the coach passenger to share your roomette?

Date: 12/17/09 22:02
Author: poultrycar

That's a good question. Room payment is for two persons with tickets. A conductor should answer this.

My wife and I did actually invite a friend back to our bedroom for several hours, the conductor knew it and said nothing. No meals or overnight intended, however.

But if you paid for the room, which is for two, and your invitee has a valid ticket ? ? ? ? ?

Sounds legit to me (but I am no conductor).

Date: 12/17/09 22:39
Author: tinytrains

I assume it would be up to the conductor. He has to fix the paper work to account for the meals and get their name on the car manifest.

Date: 12/18/09 17:31
Author: BuddPullman

When Martha Mitchell travelled on the Metroliner Club (parlor car) between Washington and NYC, she would purchase the 6 individual parlor chairs around her, in addition to her seat, to avoid having other passengers in close proximity. Hey if you can afford it, it's your money!

Martha Mitchell was the wife of Attorney General, John Mitchell.

Hubert

Date: 12/19/09 06:16
Author: krapplem

Just yesterday on #42 (Pennsylvanian) when the conductor was making the usual announcement about the train being sold out and asking people to remove their belongings from adjoining seats he stated: "if you don't remove your belongings you will be charged for the extra seat".

You can certainly buy two tickets for one train under one name. Why not? However, if it is a non-checked baggage train, the carry-on rules still apply. Also, on trains that are likely to be sold out, please remember that when you purchase an extra seat for yourself, that's one more person that can't get on the train at all!

Date: 12/19/09 12:30
Author: sfericsf

krapplem Wrote:
> Just yesterday on #42 (Pennsylvanian) when the
> conductor was making the usual announcement about
> the train being sold out and asking people to
> remove their belongings from adjoining seats he
> stated: "if you don't remove your belongings you
> will be charged for the extra seat".

I think that's just something the conductor says to get people to comply. How can he sell another seat on an alledgedly all-reserved "sold out" train??

Date: 12/19/09 18:02
Author: chakk

KV1guy Wrote:
> Dont think so. You cant buy 2 tickets with the
> same name. If you put down say you spouse, and
> they dont show...they count that as a no show and
> will resell the seat if given the chance.

Yes, you can purchase two coach seats for yourself and the coach attendant
will mark the seat next to you as occupied. I have seen people do it
several times on my journeys on Amtrak LD trains -- most frequently by women
traveling alone who did not want to be hassled by single men. And I have
heard women in seats behind me giving the brush-off to men hassling them.

(I was always prepared to come to their "rescue", but so far all of the women that
I have overhead in this situation have done a nice job for themselves, so I kept
to my seat and to myself.)

Date: 12/19/09 18:54
Author: WAF

BuddPullman Wrote:
> When Martha Mitchell travelled on the Metroliner
> Club (parlor car) between Washington and NYC, she
> would purchase the 6 individual parlor chairs
> around her, in addition to her seat, to avoid
> having other passengers in close proximity. Hey if
> you can afford it, it's your money!
>
> Martha Mitchell was the wife of Attorney General,
> John Mitchell.
>
> Hubert

She was a strange bird..

Date: 12/21/09 13:00
Author: KV1guy

chakk Wrote:
> KV1guy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dont think so. You cant buy 2 tickets with the
> > same name. If you put down say you spouse, and
> > they dont show...they count that as a no show
> and
> > will resell the seat if given the chance.
>
>
> Yes, you can purchase two coach seats for yourself
> and the coach attendant
> will mark the seat next to you as occupied. I
> have seen people do it
> several times on my journeys on Amtrak LD trains
> -- most frequently by women
> traveling alone who did not want to be hassled by
> single men. And I have
> heard women in seats behind me giving the
> brush-off to men hassling them.
>
> (I was always prepared to come to their "rescue",
> but so far all of the women that
> I have overhead in this situation have done a nice
> job for themselves, so I kept
> to my seat and to myself.)

Ya...I asked my conductor the other night about it. Many times...when this happens he has to keep the attenants from trying to put someone in it. Happens quite often.

As mentioned before....keep in mind to those that do this...

1. When you do this it keeps others from riding...as mentioned above. Also the fact that it keeps others, like families from sitting together. Thats one of the hardest things to do. It happened the other night when the Silver star was sold out. Families were waiting in the lounge while the attendant tried to move some folks around so the families could sit together. But 2 that had bought the extra seat wouldnt...and needless to say the families dont understand the concept and it puts the attendants in a pickle they cant do anything about.

As far as what was asked earlier about one guy in the sleeper and the other in coach staying in that guys sleeper.....sure. As mentioned....the coach guy doesnt get any free meals. We do this all the time when traveling. You just let the conductor know...so they can keep track of where people are.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0797 seconds