Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Passenger Trains > Novice Coast Starlight question

Date: 12/23/09 16:05
Novice Coast Starlight question
Author: graybeard1942

We will be doing a quick run Redding CA to Eugene OR and back on January 2/3. We have a lower coach north and upper level south.

My question: Will I have capability to power my laptop?

Date: 12/23/09 16:09
Re: Novice Coast Starlight question
Author: windmilltreks

Maybe....Amtrak is retrofitting coach cars with power strips and outlets at every seat, however there may be only one or two, or none, in any Coast Starlight consist. There are always plugs upstairs in the lounge car, but many passengers wanting to use them. Bring an extension power bar to make sure you can use it, and to share. Electrical plugs are in every sleeper unit (marked for razors only...a sign of the past.)

Date: 12/23/09 20:03
Author: wa4umr

Not sure about the lower lever but the upper level seats 19 and 55 (or what ever the window seat number is) are most likely to have power. Some coaches have power at all seats. It's just hit or miss. I suggest a cheap, 2 conductor extension cord. I don't think the older outlets have the grounding lug. If you end up in seat 17, you might be able to convince the person in 19 to share the power if you provide a short cord with 2 or more outlets.

There are outlets by the door in the entrance to each car on the lower levels. Not a great place to sit with your laptop while it charges. I've see three people charging devices there at one time so another good time to have the extension cord.

John

Date: 12/23/09 21:02
Author: railstiesballast

You might get a few minutes of charge while in a restroom, they have the "shaver" plugs too.

Date: 12/25/09 19:20
Author: graybeard1942

Thanks to all for the input. I suspect I'll also invest in a second battery.

Date: 12/26/09 18:46
Author: chakk

Most superliner coaches also have a two prong outlet near seat 52. It is best to carry TWO extension cords with you -- one with a small "standard" two prong plug and one with the "flat" plus for fitting the possible tight space between the wall and the armrest of the coach seat. Also bring at least one three-prong-to-two-prong converter, if your laptop charging unit has a three-prong plug.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds