Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 04/11/10 14:21
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/21 16:49 by F40PHR231.

Date: 04/11/10 14:24
Re: The newest rail-themed hotel
Author: Ptolemy

I can support the positive review of the Depot Suites, which I have stayed at, but cannot say much about the employee at the station, who spent the time before #3 back in a far corner of the ticket office watching television and ignoring requests for information. Not a very customer-friendly attitude. I presume he is a volunteer, but seemed to have little interest in passengers.

Ptolemy
Miles ridden: 1,773,800 (2,860,967 km.)
All Amtrak lines many times
Many now abandoned lines
Railroads in 36 countries

Date: 04/11/10 14:29
Author: AmTrip

It's a cool place. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the interior of the La Plata depot is. The volunteer who works there does indeed sit in the back room watching train videos every night before #3 arrives. I'm not sure if he is an "official" Amtrak volunteer, or just a foamer who unlocks the doors. But for an unstaffed station, I don't mind---it's a nice place to wait for the train.

Inside those ex-Amtrak MHC's are several items I loaned to them for display. Glad you enjoyed it.

Date: 04/11/10 14:31
Author: Mudrock

Glad you liked La Plata and the Chris Guenzler Million Mile Lookout Point.

Thanks for posting!

Chris

Date: 04/11/10 14:37
Author: Ptolemy

I won't deny the LAP station is a very nice place to wait, especially in bad weather, and compared to a station I lived near once where there was nothing and you had to wait in your car. But the night I last travelled out of LAP there was a family obviously making its first trip by train who tried in vain to get the attention of the station person to find out where to board, etc., and were frustrated. They of course would not have known he was not an Amtrak employee, so in their view their first contact with Amtrak came off badly, something we don't need.

Date: 04/11/10 14:39

You can't take the golf cart out on the highway but you could ride on of the bikes.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/10 16:21 by Mudrock.

Date: 04/11/10 14:48

Plenty of other things are in and around La Plata. I just hoped you had liked the Lookout Point.
Plenty of places to railfan in the area is one reason I keep going back myself.

Chris

Date: 04/11/10 15:04
Author: AmTrip

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can take the golf cart out on the highway but
> you could ride on of the bikes.
>
> Chris

You can take the golf cart on the highway? They allow that?

Date: 04/11/10 15:20
Author: zuco74

AmTrip Wrote:
> Mudrock Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You can take the golf cart out on the highway
> but
> > you could ride on of the bikes.
> >
> > Chris
>
> You can take the golf cart on the highway? They
> allow that?

Wow those pictures are all excellent! I have taken the cart out on the highway with no problems at all. Always get plenty of waves from the town residents!

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/10 15:20 by zuco74.

Date: 04/11/10 15:21

You are never allowed to take the Golf Cart out on US 63. Kirksville is 11 miles and is heavily patroled by the Missouri Highway Patrol and La Plata police closer to town. The Cart can be used
to go into town or out to the lookout point but are never to be taken out on the main highway 63.

Chris

Date: 04/11/10 15:55
Author: meh

Confusing!

Mudrock Wrote:
> You can take the golf cart out on the highway

Mudrock Wrote:
> You are never allowed to take the Golf Cart out on US 63.

Date: 04/11/10 16:24

Don't be confussed! I edited the post changing the word Can to Can't. The Golf Cart is never to be taken out on US 63 as it is not street legal. They are allowed to be used around the town bit not on any major highway.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/10 16:28 by Mudrock.

Date: 04/11/10 16:26
Author: zuco74

Oops.. I should have clarified. I have taken the cart into town a couple of times. Yea - On the highway would be dangerous and against the law I imagine!

Tony

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds