Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Passenger Trains > Coast Starlight trip report

Date: 05/04/10 14:32
Coast Starlight trip report
Author: bobs

I took a quick trip on the Starlight from San Jose, CA to Eugene, OR this weekend, the first time I've done an overnight trip on Amtrak in a roomette (as opposed to Todd's private car trips). All in all, a great experience. Train was early into San Jose Saturday evening and on time into Eugene. I didn't know if they would still be serving dinner, but could have had it if I hadn't eaten beforehand.

Coming back, they were about 15 minutes late into Eugene, but we caught up to the schedule by Klamath Falls and were on time into San Jose again this morning.

I had Robin for a sleeping car attendant both ways and she was wonderful. She already had a dinner reservation for me when I got on in Eugene yesterday (I hadn't asked her to do that). The food was quite good. Morning omlettes were fresh and hot, although the potatoes were a bit dry. I had Shrimp Scampi for dinner last night and it too was good, as were the veggies. I had lunch in the parlor car going north, with a caesar chicken wrap that was good, and an excellent tomato basil bisque soup...and I don't even like tomato soup!

I met my best friend in Eugene and we went to a concert Sunday night. All in all, a wonderful weekend!

BTW, coach was close to sold out in both directions.

Date: 05/04/10 21:31
Re: Coast Starlight trip report
Author: asheldrake

I would add that my wife and I returned to Portland from LA via the Starlight departing LA on Monday after doing the 3751 trip. All services on the Coast Starlight were GREAT including our refurbished Parlour car. I really enjoyed eating off real plates and the option of eating in the Parlour Car, even from a limited menu, was excellent. We arrived today in Portland 20 minutes ahead of the advertised.

My first chance to see the refurbished Eugene depot, NICE job Eugene. Arlen

Date: 05/05/10 01:15
Author: poultrycar

We two 85 year old foamers are going north out of Los Angeles tomorrow (Thursday). Wish my wife and I the good fortune the two previous posters had. Parlour car had better be there !

Date: 05/05/10 06:00
Author: bert14

Gonna have lots of time soon for some train rides and it's
good to hear the Coast Starlight is still a great ride.
Doug

Date: 05/06/10 16:29
Author: modocboo

Be sure and take advantage of the tour guide narrative program between Klamath Falls and Eugene. I'm a volunteer docent and the Klamath County Museum has volunteers on most trains to describe the scenery, history, etc. along the way.

Date: 05/06/10 20:11
Author: jp1822

Of all of my Coast Starlight trips from around 2002 till last year (maybe a total of 8 full length from LA to Seattle) I have yet to encounter the narrative. As a history buff, I certainly would have been interested! Perhaps I just rode the train in the wrong season or wrong days etc.

Appreciate all those volunteers out there who help give this historical narrative on the long distance trains! When the Adirondack runs with the Great Dome, I would hope that they provide a narrative talk then!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds