Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Support Amtrak funding in Congress

Date: 07/15/10 08:45
Support Amtrak funding in Congress
Author: Winnemucca

I urge those who wish to help with the effort to obtain better funding for improved passenger rail service to let your Congressional Representatives know today. Yes, I know there is plenty to complain about concerning Amtrak and it's faults, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. The process of coming up with next year's Amtrak budget is happening now. There are important deadlines and votes soon.If you would like more info on this go to the NARP website: www.narprail.org

Here is a copy of the letter I sent today to my Senators and Representative:

Dear Senators Boxer and Fienstein and Rep, Mike Thompson;

I am a constituent of yours and a frequent user of Amtrak rail passenger service. The latest budget numbers for Amtrak coming out of the House Committee on Appropriations are of great concern. This historic continuation of sub standard funding is one of the primary reasons that we lack adequate rail passenger service in the country (other nations, including the People's Republic of China, are soaring ahead of us with advanced high speed rail systems). If we continue on this short-sighted trend Amtrak service will suffer with aging, defect-prone equipment will continue and the much-needed growth our passenger rail system will be stifled.

I request that you support full funding for Amtrak at the railroad's requested levels ($592 million for operations and $2.007 billion for capital, including new fleet acquisition). I urge that you also support high speed rail funding to the $4 billion approved in the House last year.

Now is critical moment to demonstrate your support for Amtrak. Amtrak is experiencing a 5% increase in ridership nationwide this year. Recent months have shown an even stronger rate of increase Amtrak is also playing a crucial role in helping states develop plans for high speed rail.

According to the U.S. Conference of Mayors, by 2035, high-speed rail development would bring Los Angeles 55,000 new jobs and $7.6 billion in new revenue; Orlando, Fla., would support 20,000 new jobs and see more than $2 billion added to the local economy; and high-speed rail in Albany, N.Y., would generate 4,700 new jobs and $500 million.

It seems to me that this is the best way fight the deficit: Increase jobs and productivity to generate revenue to assist the ailing economy.

Please fully fund Amtrak at requested levels and restore high speed rail to the House-approved levels from 2010. America can do better in the 21st Century than to continue with 19th Century rail service.

Sincerely,

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 07/15/10 10:28
Re: Support Amtrak funding in Congress
Author: reindeerflame

Unfortunately, Amtrak is not a priority in the Congress. Other things are seen as more important. And, we may well be at the high water mark. Next year, we will see a Congress that is less likely to spend, and it may be a Republican Congress. That may be good for the country in other ways, but rail funding is unlikely to be higher. If Amtrak is a low priority now, it will not be a higher priority next year.

Amtrak and NARP appear to be waving white flags. The battle is nearly over.

Date: 07/15/10 11:29
Author: hazegray

reindeerflame Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Next year, we will see a Congress that is less likely to spend...rail funding is unlikely to be higher.
If Amtrak is a low priority now, it will not be a higher priority next year.

IMO, an absolutely accurate prediction. Spend carefully now, because when the $$$ is gone, it is gone.

Date: 07/15/10 14:12

hazegray Wrote:
> reindeerflame Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Next year, we will see a Congress that is less
> likely to spend...rail funding is unlikely to be
> higher.
> If Amtrak is a low priority now, it will not be a
> higher priority next year.
>
> IMO, an absolutely accurate prediction. Spend
> carefully now, because when the $$$ is gone, it is
> gone.

All the more reason to push for it now. If there is going to be a more penny pinching Congress after November let's try to get as much done now as we can.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 07/15/10 14:47
Author: floridajoe2001

True, we got a windfall under President Obama, but he will still be there after the November elections, and no one can predict what a future Congress will do, and that applies to a Republican Congress as well.

And don't be so quick to assume that Amtrak will be "unimportant" to a Republican Congress.

A Republican Congress will be under just as much pressure to create jobs, and if Amtrak ridership continues to grow, and trains remain popular with the States (Congress represents States), Amtrak will be considered "important" and could do fairly well under Republicans.

Why be so pessimistic--Republicans can be our friends too (remember Trent Lot?).
Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/10 14:48 by floridajoe2001.

Date: 07/15/10 16:09
Author: reindeerflame

floridajoe2001 Wrote:
> True, we got a windfall under President Obama, but
> he will still be there after the November
> elections, and no one can predict what a future
> Congress will do, and that applies to a Republican
> Congress as well.
>
> And don't be so quick to assume that Amtrak will
> be "unimportant" to a Republican Congress.
>
> A Republican Congress will be under just as much
> pressure to create jobs, and if Amtrak ridership
> continues to grow, and trains remain popular with
> the States (Congress represents States), Amtrak
> will be considered "important" and could do fairly
> well under Republicans.
>
> Why be so pessimistic--Republicans can be our
> friends too (remember Trent Lot?).
> Joe

Well, then why isn't Amtrak considered important now? Are Democrats essentially against trains?

All I'm suggested is that deficits are rapidly becoming more of an issue than jobs, even in the current Congress. A Republican Congress could easily provide Amtrak a "standard" budget, but would be unlikely to do more than that.

Date: 07/15/10 17:23

Reindeerflam: The point of concern here is that, if Republicans win in November, they will not fund Amtrak at the levels Democrats will, because of their desire to "cut spending".

Obama and the Democrats have been wonderful to Amtrak, but only in the context of Stimulus funds--not the normal Amtrak budget--they haven't taken up their first Amtrak budget yet. It appears it will be a small increase over last year, but we don't know yet. So, maybe Democrats will be quite ordinary in normal Amtrak funding--no better than Republicans.

However, we can forget about receiving any additional stimulus grants to Amtrak under a Republican Congress-they don't like stimulus. I think this is what some fans are afraid of. But, grants can come from many sources (such as the States), and Republicans can use other names for it--such as "in-fracture investments", etc.

Don't give up. Before the election, Republicans want to cut spending and cut the deficit. After they win, they will want to stimulate business growth and spur investment (in in-fracture, or projects within their individual states, maybe). This is where Amtrak might benefit under Republican rule, over-and-above their normal annual budget. No one can predict for sure.

Joe

Date: 07/15/10 22:36
Author: railcity

You have too much free time on computer.

Date: 07/16/10 07:29

railcity: I don't have too much free time if I got you to read my ideas. The only problem is, you didn't share your ideas.

Joe

Date: 07/16/10 08:36

floridajoe2001 Wrote:
> railcity: I don't have too much free time if I
> got you to read my ideas. The only problem is,
> you didn't share your ideas.
>
> Joe

I am talking about John not you Joe about the Amtrak 5&6 and other stuff he writes not about you Joe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/10 08:38 by railcity.

Date: 07/16/10 10:31

railcity Wrote:
> floridajoe2001 Wrote:
> -----
> > railcity: I don't have too much free time if I
> > got you to read my ideas. The only problem is,
> > you didn't share your ideas.
> >
> > Joe
>
> I am talking about John not you Joe about the
> Amtrak 5&6 and other stuff he writes not about you
> Joe.

Here I am.

What exactly is the problem that you have with me expressing my ideas and opinions? You don't have to read them.

And, if you do read them and you disagree with what I have to say that's OK with me. We can have a respectful debate. That's what TO is for.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 07/16/10 10:51

Winnemucca Wrote:
> railcity Wrote:
> -----
> > floridajoe2001 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > railcity: I don't have too much free time if
> I
> > > got you to read my ideas. The only problem
> is,
> > > you didn't share your ideas.
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > I am talking about John not you Joe about the
> > Amtrak 5&6 and other stuff he writes not about
> you
> > Joe.
>
>
> Here I am.
>
> What exactly is the problem that you have with me
> expressing my ideas and opinions? You don't have
> to read them.
>
> And, if you do read them and you disagree with
> what I have to say that's OK with me. We can have
> a respectful debate. That's what TO is for.

I don't have No Problem with you John and your writing stuff on here, but about 5&6 every week? Every Summer Amtrak has alot problems like Flooding, Heat, Bad Cars, and stuff on the Railroad is out of Amtrak Hands. Again I don't have problems with you. 90 percent of Amtrak Problems is out of they hands when stuff gos bad outside of NEC.

Date: 07/16/10 16:12
Author: ProAmtrak

This is gettin' too old guys! I'll do my part, but I'm really gettin' fed up with this crap year in and year out!

Date: 07/16/10 17:27
Author: Lackawanna484

railcity Wrote:
> (snip)
> Every Summer Amtrak has alot problems like
> Flooding, Heat, Bad Cars, and stuff on the
> Railroad is out of Amtrak Hands. Again I don't
> have problems with you. 90 percent of Amtrak
> Problems is out of they hands when stuff gos bad
> outside of NEC.

why are "bad cars" a problem outside Amtrak's hands? They repair them and maintain them. If the cars crap out, a/c doesn't work, engine fails, it would seem to be Amtrak's fault.

Date: 07/16/10 17:46
Author: ProAmtrak

Espeically when they cut corners to get the train out of the yards and into the station to make sure it gets out on time!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0873 seconds