Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Passenger Trains > Denver Union Station

Date: 08/21/10 12:17
Denver Union Station
Author: sactobob

Can anyone tell me the current status of the Denver Union Station construction project as far as boarding the Zephyr is concerned?

Has the boarding been moved to the temporary location yet, and, if not, how soon is it likely to occur?

My neighbors are planning a trip to Denver within the next couple of months and I would like to be able to tell them what to expect.

Thanks.

Date: 08/21/10 12:55
Re: Denver Union Station
Author: dan

could be a move in your time frame, the new temp depot is getting ready was called for moving in aug , maybe oct before it ready, keeps getting later.

I block north on wewatta I beleive

Date: 08/21/10 13:18
Author: jp1822

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is this station sort of on the "main line" so Amtrak doesn't have to make a backup move into Denver Union Station. Also, could Amtrak operate the "set-out" sleeper or coach from Chicago to/from Denver (like I believe it is doing this summer) as long as this temporary station is in place? How long is this supposed to be like this?

I was actually impressed with the real Denver Union Station the last time I was there - the underground passageways (neat, clean, in good repair from what I saw) and the station itself for that matter. It's just too bad that this station just sees one train a day now! I could imagine during its heyday how active this station once was - even with Amtrak's Pioneer and Desert Wind for that matter! With the ski train gone, nothing left at Denver Union Station except the California Zephyr. I can just imagine back when the original CA Zephyr was canceled, no one would have ever predicted that a train of this name is the ONLY one left now in 2010 that calls on this station!

Date: 08/21/10 13:32
Author: dan

still backing in for either station , the extra cars don't run most of the winter, Pv's are banned currently for the most part

Date: 08/21/10 14:38
Author: jp1822

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> still backing in for either station , the extra
> cars don't run most of the winter, Pv's are banned
> currently for the most part

Correct, the extra cars don't run during the winter, and their addition to the CA Zephyr during the summer is even hit or miss each year. But how long is this project supposed to last, as it appears that it may be more than a year!

Date: 08/21/10 15:11
Author: rovertrain

The new "Track 9" is being built, the new estimate is April to move into the new building. They've got the water stations being built on the new platform and they're going to move the canopy from track two over there. It'll still be set up to back in and the new track will be able to handle a 12 car train. There is no definite word on Private Cars. There may be room behind where they're going to store the protect motor, but it'll only be for one car if they give it the "go ahead."

Date: 08/21/10 16:24
Author: lowwater

AS I recall the original projections the relocation may be for as long as 4 years.

lowwater

Date: 08/21/10 18:03
Author: sactobob

Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful.

Date: 08/22/10 16:09
Author: joemvcnj

One nice little touch from the old days: they wash the trains windows there by a couple of men walk down the train with squeegees. Better jobs than Chicago does

Date: 08/22/10 21:12
Author: jbaker

I guess I missed earlier posts, could someone fill me in? What are they doing to the old station? Will Amtrak move back later? What's the availiably of long term parking near either location? Are PV's banned from the CZ totally, due to adding/droping the coach and sleeper at Denver?

Date: 08/23/10 12:04
Author: BDPerry

To quote from the Denver RTD site:

"Denver Union Station will serve as a multimodal transportation hub, integrating light rail, commuter rail, and intercity rail (Amtrak), as well as regional, express, and local bus service, the 16th Street Mall shuttle, Downtown Circulator, and intercity buses, taxis, shuttles, vans, limousines, bicycles and pedestrians."

See http://www.denverunionstation.org/.

Bruce Perry
Tehachapi, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds