Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak GP15 window detail

Date: 11/03/10 07:25
Amtrak GP15 window detail
Author: Lackawanna484

I thought this picture of the window on Amtrak's GP15 might be of interest. Looks like it provides superb visibility of men on the ground, switching tasks, etc.

The location is the Millstone branch off the NEC in NJ. The first few hundred feet of the branch comprise the Jersey Avenue northbound station. COUNTY interlocking is a few feet to the left of the locomotive. NY is to the left on the main (background).

ETA to remove the -1 from the title and the first line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/10 09:12 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 11/03/10 07:30
Re: Amtrak GP15-1 window detail
Author: GenePoon

Okay. May as well, hardly costs any more. Not that it is a BAD idea, but is there one for the engineer, who is actually running the engine?

Date: 11/03/10 08:26

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay. May as well, hardly costs any more. Not
> that it is a BAD idea, but is there one for the
> engineer, who is actually running the engine?

Yes, you can see some of the engineer's expansive window through the fireman's window. I'll see if I can get a better picture next time. I didn't want to trespass onto Amtrak's property to cross over for a sunny side view

Date: 11/03/10 08:49
Author: trainjunkie

Minor point of clarification but the MPI units are just GP15s, (no "-1"). EMD's are GP15-1s and a completely different locomotive. From your subject line I thought Amtrak had acquired some EMD GP15-1s somewhere, which might actually be kinda' cool.

Date: 11/03/10 08:56
Author: NJTMatt

NJT has the same cab design on there new switchers but with out the lower window and you can not see the conductor if he is on the steps giving you hand signals. I have to stand up to see him so it's a real pain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/10 08:57 by NJTMatt.

Date: 11/03/10 11:21
Author: hsr_fan

I know pretty much where this is, but not exactly. So, the Jersey Ave station is behind the locomotive in this photo?

Date: 11/03/10 11:36

hsr_fan Wrote:
> I know pretty much where this is, but not exactly.
> So, the Jersey Ave station is behind the
> locomotive in this photo?

correct, the locomotive is sitting on the branch with the station to my right, and the dwarf signal to my left as I face the units.

Date: 11/03/10 14:19
Author: 6ET

NJTMatt Wrote:
> NJT has the same cab design on there new switchers
> but with out the lower window and you can not see
> the conductor if he is on the steps giving you
> hand signals. I have to stand up to see him so
> it's a real pain.

If I'm looking for hand signals, my head is out the window, as to make SURE I can see the signal clearly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds