Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Passenger Trains > Train 8 January 1

Date: 01/01/11 06:41
Train 8 January 1
Author: saludagradenotrain

Train 8 departed almost 6 hours late from Fargo, NC and is due almost 8 hours late one st. Paul/Minneapolis MN. Is this equipment or weather related?

Date: 01/01/11 07:48
Re: Train 8 January 1
Author: Schmittb93

Most likely weather related. 2 big snow storms affected this area in the last few days. Now they are contending with blowing snow and cold temps.

Date: 01/01/11 08:44
Author: ordflyer85

Indeed it is weather related, we've had some pretty large snow totals, and currently in a Blizzard Warning, can't even see more than a few feet in front of ya. Its going to be slow going in most North Dakota today.

Date: 01/01/11 09:27
Author: HoosierVirg

From another group I read that the 7-31 Empire Builder although only an hour late was annulled at Fargo and tacked on the end of 8-30 and sent back east, must be quite a train, read three units are on the front and the three units from 7 on the back. The state of Minnesota has advised no travel in the west central part of the state and both I-29, I-94 and highway 2 are shut down in North Dakota. I would not be surprised to see both 7 and 8 canceled today.

Date: 01/01/11 15:10
Author: CREngineer

there are 97, i think the number is about right, freights stuck out there between the mains and the sidings due to weather. So we are suspending service until the logjam is cleared up

Date: 01/01/11 19:46
Author: ordflyer85

According to the news service will be running from Chicago to St. Paul and Seattle to Whitefish Montana and that is it, no service in between those points due to the icy conditions and backed up freight trains as mentioned. It certainly has been a mess up here.

Chris

Date: 01/01/11 20:50
Author: jp1822

Well I will give credit to Amtrak for "trying" to operate at least the eastern most and western most service. Nice overnight trip between Seattle (and hopefully the Portland section too?) and Whitefish. Coaches are just needed between Chicago and teh Twin Cities.

If the Empire Builder is to operate in this fashion for a couple of days, it would be nice to see the Empire Builder's trainsets sitting in Chicago used to help relieve almost "booked up" trains. Particuarly the Capitol Limited in sleeper class (to get people to and from the Midwest and East Coast) let alone perhaps an additional sleeper and coach on the California Zephyr, which may be a substitute for those that were booked on the Empire Builder.

Date: 01/01/11 21:00
Author: mundo

and where is "up here"?

Date: 01/01/11 22:40
Author: HoosierVirg

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and where is "up here"?
Since we are talking about the Empire Builder I would assume by up here he means the Hi-Line.

Date: 01/02/11 07:25
Author: zzzrail

Reroute those freights and the Empire Builder onto the ex Milwaukee line across South Dakota and take back the lease of Montana Rail Link.LOL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds