Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Passenger Trains > Back When You Could Roam CUS ...

Date: 03/09/11 14:50
Back When You Could Roam CUS ...
Author: PumpkinHogger

... might have hung out at the end of track 28 on the south side, all day, with no one giving you a second glance. Pix from the collection fotted by our latebeans in the mid-70s.

That is Harrison Street tower controlling the south side of the station interlocking here. It still exists but is surrounded by the new post office built in 92-93.

Fot 1 look like the SFZ leaving? Or the Lone Star.

For 2 things got a little busy.

Date: 03/09/11 14:52
Re: Back When You Could Roam CUS ...
Author: PumpkinHogger

Guesses as to which trains these were?

Date: 03/09/11 14:58
Author: agentatascadero

3rd and 4th images have the appearance of those short lived Milwaukee to St Louis run through trains. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 03/09/11 15:02
Author: twin_star_rocket

No, but the squared-off dome is ex-CB&Q, either Silver Veranda or Silver Chateau, originally purchased for the last Denver Zephyr.

Brian Ehni

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/11 15:05 by twin_star_rocket.

Date: 03/09/11 15:07
Author: twin_star_rocket

Picture one looks like the Lone Star to me; it carried a big dome, and usually had an ex-CZ dome obs on the rear.

Brian Ehni

Date: 03/09/11 16:06
Author: glcaddis

I probably rode most, if not all these trains in the early to mid-1970s. Frankly, it was almost a new "Golden Age," even though much of the equipment was on its last legs. At least the people who were taking care of it knew how to keep it running as best they could. If I were "King for a Day," this is what I'd want to set in motion. Get it back to at least how it was and that means new management with a new outlook to managing the employees, the equipment, and the customer experience.

Date: 03/09/11 16:07
Author: IC_2024

The turbo is coming in from either Detroit or St. Louis.
If you look closely at the ex-CBQ DZ/KCZ dome, you can see the Abraham Lincoln drumhead, so that's a St. Louis train over the old GM&O.
Also, the other obs is Amtk 3870 or 3871 (exNYC) which were assigned to the Detroit trains before coming over to the Black Hawk in the summer of '76, so that's a Detroit train as well.
Nice series of shots, PH. Keep 'em coming, please!
Given the strong afternoon, early evening lighting, I'd also say that the E's in the one shot are probably shoving the Panama Lmtd back to Union Ave Tower for their move over the St Charles Airline.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/11 16:22 by IC_2024.

Date: 03/09/11 17:26
Author: DTrainshooter

Look at those dome cars...damn Amtrak for getting rid of them!

Date: 03/09/11 18:35
Author: MEKoch

Picture one: has to be CZ, as the Lone Star had hi-level coaches

Date: 03/09/11 18:57
Author: BuddPullman

Picture one with the ex CZ obs looks like the North Coast Hiawatha. But it would not be heading to the former Q coach yard as I believe it was serviced at Western Avenue, Milw Rd. Yard. So it may be the San Francisco Zephyr? It is definitely not the Lone Star as it has no Hi Level Chair Cars, nor the 1973 "Chief" train 19 as that train had Hi Level Chair Cars as well.

Photo 2 looks like to be a Turboliner from St.Louis.

Photo 3 One of the Detroit trains with an ex NYC Obs

Photo 4 The ex DZ Obs Silver Chateau on the rear of the Abraham Lincoln

HH

Date: 03/09/11 21:02
Author: wpjones

I assume the San Francisco Zephyr used the ex Cal Zephyr Dome Obs'.And Amtrak only got the four from the "Q",RG kept their one and WP's two were turned down by Amtrak(to used up according to Bill Kratville) and sold to private owners. that wouldn't leave any for any other trains would it?
Steve

Date: 03/09/11 21:57
Author: ProRail

Did I miss something? What the heck is CUS?

Date: 03/09/11 22:57
Author: pb

ProRail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did I miss something? What the heck is CUS?

Chicago Union Station.

Date: 03/09/11 22:57
Author: IC_2024

ProRail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did I miss something? What the heck is CUS?

Chicago Union Station, ProRail.

Date: 03/10/11 04:16
Author: andersonb109

For a short time the Lone Star did carry the ex. CZ dome. The train's coaches were indeed high levels but the sleepers, indluding the Dallas sleeper on the rear were of course of standard height. As I recall the Dome/Lounge went to Dallas along with the one sleeper. The rest of the train went south from Fort Worth where it was split.

Date: 03/10/11 10:23
Author: dan

NCH with no hi levels up front?

Date: 03/10/11 17:53
Author: DavidP

I rode the SFZ in August 1976, and it did indeed have an ex-CZ dome-obs. The car, along with a dome coach, came off in Denver as SP wouldn't allow Budd domes over Donner Pass.

Dave

Date: 03/13/11 11:10
Author: ProAmtrak

Great shots Pumpkin, one thing I have to say, the 2 cars Amtrak should not of retired were the dome cars, an especially the observation cars! Durin' that time I think, Amtrak started to make their stride too!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1213 seconds