Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 04/06/11 01:16
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 23:54 by F40PHR231.

Date: 04/06/11 03:58
Re: Nor'eastour: B&O Museum and MTA in Baltimore
Author: cp1400

Good job sticking up for your rights Chris. I'm guessing those transit cops had no idea you were taping the whole thing.

cp1400

Date: 04/06/11 05:05
Author: knotch8

Look how dirty that Northeast Regional car is. The logo is nice, but the car is sure dirty.

Date: 04/06/11 08:16
Author: Lackawanna484

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We had a number of issues like that with MTA
> police here in Baltimore a few years ago, and I
> had thought it was over. Obviously I was wrong.
> Baltimore ACLU was involved with the initial
> events.
>
> As a "card-carrying member of the ACLU," I guess
> it is time to get out my camera and head out for
> another photo shoot!
>
> B&OB

Great pictures.

I was struck by Baltimore's self-professed "Charm City" and the image that's projected on "The Wire". If I was a police officer working in that environment, I'd probably spend time hassling a photographer than going after people who were throwing rocks at trains, as noted in an earlier photo caption.

Part of that is a failure to manage police. Having four or five officers involved in a simple stop when multiple quality of life issues (smoking, littering, walking on the tracks, etc) are visible nearby speaks to a low level of supervisory and management competence. Having regular stone throwing at trains on the Camden Line suggests a better use for their transport police.

Date: 04/06/11 09:28
Author: Lackawanna484

knotch8 Wrote:
> Look how dirty that Northeast Regional car is.
> The logo is nice, but the car is sure dirty.

The regional equipment rarely gets washed, from what I can tell. The Acela equipment usually looks pretty clean, but a lot of the regional equipment has a perpetual coat of grime on it.

Date: 04/06/11 10:15
Author: erielackawanna

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> knotch8 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Look how dirty that Northeast Regional car is.
> > The logo is nice, but the car is sure dirty.
>
> The regional equipment rarely gets washed, from
> what I can tell. The Acela equipment usually
> looks pretty clean, but a lot of the regional
> equipment has a perpetual coat of grime on it.

My guess (no actual knowledge) is that cleaning costs money that Amtrak does not have.

The problem, of course, is that people ride a dirty train and become disappointed with the service.

Date: 04/06/11 10:35
Author: warren49

Thanks for the photos. I always enjoy seeing these types of pictures. Also, if it were me, I would make a point of sending a letter to the local news outlets in the Baltimore area, recounting the events with the local law enforcement. No guarantee that it would be reprinted or acknowledged, but almost any city is concerned about out of town tourists. Doing what you can to publicize your experience might be helpful for future travelers.

Date: 04/06/11 10:45
Author: Mudrock

Great set of picture Chris and I knew you enjoying your time there.

Chris

Date: 04/06/11 11:29
Author: cutboy2

MEGABUS washes the bus. Come on Amtrak!!!

Date: 04/06/11 12:49
Author: Mgoldman

warren49 Wrote:
> Thanks for the photos. I always enjoy seeing
> these types of pictures. Also, if it were me, I
> would make a point of sending a letter to the
> local news outlets in the Baltimore area,
> recounting the events with the local law
> enforcement. No guarantee that it would be
> reprinted or acknowledged, but almost any city is
> concerned about out of town tourists. Doing what
> you can to publicize your experience might be
> helpful for future travelers.

I'll echo Warren's response to a tee.

And on a side note, considering you have the event
on tape, maybe a call to Steve Barry will yield
some insight on some legal options. I'm not one
to sue, nor do I typically endorse others but you
really got the treatment AND, more to the point,
it could send a message to law enforcement and
thereby lessen the hassle for other that follow
in your footsteps. At the least, a letter to
someone "high up".

/Mitch

Date: 04/06/11 14:39
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Balto needs to work on its "Charm City" and "Cultural Center" image. I'm guessing that "The City That Reads" didn't wash because too many more accurate but less desirable words rhymed with "reads."

Date: 04/06/11 20:06
Author: chakk

F40PHR231 Wrote:
> cp1400 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good job sticking up for your rights Chris. I'm
> > guessing those transit cops had no idea you
> were
> > taping the whole thing.
>
>
> They were fully aware that the camera was on.

Maybe they just wanted to get their pictures published on a national railfan website?

Date: 04/07/11 05:06
Author: ClubCar

F40PHR231 Wrote:
>
> 8) The museum was fantastic, they've done a great
> job restoring the roundhouse and equipment that
> were damaged during the snow storm.
>
You say the B&O R.R. Museum is fantastic? Apparently you did not look at the passenger equipment, the American Freedom Train ex-Reading 2101 or other locomotives sitting outside rusting away. Let me just tell you how it is:
The B&O R.R. Museum Management has done an outstanding job of rebuilding and restoring the roundhouse and the locomotives and other artifacts inside. But what is the cost? Look at their passenger equipment outside. Look at the rust on most of the cars. Trust me, they are in terrible shape. It does not have to be this way. However the museum management does not care about those one-of-a-kind treasurers. Once these B&O passenger cars are gone, there are no more to be had. Oh there are a few B&O passenger cars here and there around the country, but for the most part these are the only ones of their kind. Look at the two photos I have attached to this.
My opinion: the museum should let some to the damaged steam engines just sit inside the roundhouse building for awhile. It will not hurt them to stay there damaged for a few more years. Get out there and repaint and repair those passenger cars NOW before it is too late. They cannot continue to stay out there in that Baltimore Weather and not continue to deteriorate. This is not just my opinion but that of many other true B&O historians and fans.
I am sorry that you had a bad experience on the light rail. Yes, Baltimore is in bad shpe in many areas, especially where the light rail operates.
Baltimore has lots of money for stadiums and for a big car race that they are promoting for next year. Funny how they find money for these things but cannot obtain money to clean up the city and get rid of the blight. I used to live in the city but I have not lived there for over 30 years. It's a shame is all that I care to say here.
The photos attached were NOT taken by me; they were sent to me via the internet by some other fellows who are mad with the B&O R.R. Museum. The 2nd photo is B&O 3302 which was the rear observation car on the "Chessie Safety Express Steam Train" in 1980 & 1981. This car has so much history and now it sits there rusting away with a hole in the back under the window. Water continues to get into the car body. I rest my case.
JH a/k ClubCar

Date: 04/07/11 09:46
Author: TorchLake

Club Car,

I don't think our host is terrible fond of reposts from RRPArchives.net. . . . .

TL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/11 09:47 by TorchLake.

Date: 04/07/11 11:48
Author: PumpkinHogger

Another fine example of power-tripping transit "cops" in LA, paste the below into a Youtube search -

yY2cCPW3H7g

And here is how it should go -

4FzpUzPdoBg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/11 11:50 by PumpkinHogger.

Date: 04/07/11 13:38
Author: ClubCar

TorchLake Wrote:
> Club Car,
>
> I don't think our host is terrible fond of reposts
> from RRPArchives.net. . . . .
>
> TL

TorchLake; the only reason why I put those two photos here is because I don't have my own photos in my computer. I used these photos, which someone sent to me sometime back, to just prove my point, that the B&O R.R. Museum looks great on the inside, but leaves much to be desired with the passenger cars sitting outside. That is all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1092 seconds