Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ - Lebanon station on the NJT Raritan Valley

Date: 08/03/11 18:47
NJ - Lebanon station on the NJT Raritan Valley
Author: Lackawanna484

Lebanon NJ is a small town in western New Jersey, about 48 miles west of the one time Jersey Central terminal in Jersey City. Into the 1950s it was a source for milk, furniture and agricultural products for market. It's west of Whitehouse station, and east of Annandale. The station is located along a ridge above the town, which has a main street lined with gingerbread Victorian and Queen Anne style homes. The small station only has space for about 10 cars, so I assume many people must walk to the train.

In the 1970s and 1980s, the High Iron Company stored some of its equipment on the several sidings at Lebanon. Changes in the area have caused the sidings south of the main and west of the station to be lifted. The small factory north of the main is for sale and its siding is rusty, while the "long siding" east of the station also looks rusty. Like most sidings on NJ Transit active lines, these sidings have electric locks controlled by the DS.

The enormous Round Valley Reservoir is just over the hill to my right.

Picture 1 - the lovely station, looking east. There's a lot of detailed wood turning and accent painting in the exterior of this rural station

Picture 2 - looking west, a 180 degree turn from the first picture. There were two sidings directly in front of me in the past. I believe one was a milk pick up point for the once very rural area. The concrete ties represent about a hundred feet of railway, the rest in this area is wood.

Picture 3 - the bus shelter stop is ahead of me, as is the freight door to the station. I believe a second main track once ran roughly under me, while the freight track ended at about its current location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/11 18:50 by Lackawanna484.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds