Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Passenger Trains > Status of Lake Shore (49) and Capitol Limited (29) for

Date: 08/19/11 18:12
Status of Lake Shore (49) and Capitol Limited (29) for
Author: jp1822

So will 29 and 49 that left Washington DC and New York City respectively today, August 19th (from their origins), make it through the affected area in Indiana on Saturday? Appears that they haven't posted the masterful "service disruption" yet and are expecting these trains to "go all the way" to Chicago.

Obviously things could change, but what is the status of the derailment in Indiana? Have the tracks been cleared or are we in for another day of bussing on August 20th?

Date: 08/19/11 19:06
Re: Status of Lake Shore (49) and Capitol Limited (29)
Author: amanwtf

Both main lines are now open for business.

Date: 08/19/11 20:00
Author: OhioRails

I called about 48 in Cleveland. It said their is a service disruption

Posted from Android

Date: 08/20/11 04:36
Author: toledopatch

OhioRails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I called about 48 in Cleveland. It said their is a
> service disruption
>

48 is not 49. 48 and 30 originated in Toledo last night because of yesterday's bustitution.

Date: 08/20/11 06:14

This just in: #29 now running 90 minutes late, #49 running 60 minutes late and both will encounter more delay west of Wonderloo passing the derailment site.

Date: 08/20/11 06:22

Update: #49 now running 90 minutes late, should encounter further delay.

Date: 08/20/11 07:21
Author: stone23

Since the first freight train pulled out of its first terminal around 1832 their have been continuous freight train wrecks.

Can't the Interstate Commerce Commission do something about this problem such as ordering railroads to maintain their freight equipment?

Date: 08/20/11 08:01
Author: toledopatch

stone23 Wrote:
> Since the first freight train pulled out of its
> first terminal around 1832 their have been
> continuous freight train wrecks.
>
> Can't the Interstate Commerce Commission do
> something about this problem such as ordering
> railroads to maintain their freight equipment?

The Interstate Commerce Commission hasn't existed for almost 20 years.

And even if equipment maintenance were perfect, it wouldn't have prevented this accident, which was a rear-end collision. Oh yeah, there's Positive Train Control for that, assuming the benefit is worth the cost.

Date: 08/20/11 08:12
Author: stone23

toledopatch Wrote:
The Interstate Commerce Commission hasn't existed
> for almost 20 years.

LOL

Date: 08/20/11 15:05
Author: jp1822

Train #29 and #49 were just over an hour late coming into Chicago Union Station on 8/20. Not sure how much of that delay was actually due to the derailment site, as I think these trains were running a little late enroute anyway. So that wasn't a bad run overall to Chicago and through the affected area etc.

I was expecting worse. What shall be interesting is the current situation in Chicago with all the Western trains coming in "delayed" on 8/20, which will probably affect the departures of at least #30 and #48 this evening, 8/20.

Whether they hold the single level tri-weekly Cardinal remains to be seen in the next hour or so! Southwest Chief connecting passengers and California Zephyr connecting passengers may be treated to a bus ride to Indianapolis! This is one train Amtrak should really not book same day connections on considering its earlier departure now and and tri-weekly schedule!

Date: 08/20/11 20:53
Author: Amtrak288

jp1822 Wrote:
> Train #29 and #49 were just over an hour late
> coming into Chicago Union Station on 8/20. Not
> sure how much of that delay was actually due to
> the derailment site, as I think these trains were
> running a little late enroute anyway. So that
> wasn't a bad run overall to Chicago and through
> the affected area etc.
>
Well, knowing that (at least for #49), it didn't lose more time after it left Buffalo around 1:10am this morning! I know there's some schedule padding once the train gets out of Buffalo as per what I've experienced in my past travels on this train. I'm getting nervous about #5 as I'm riding it late next month. I have to pick up a rental car at the San Francisco Airport (only place open on Saturday) and the train is due in EMY at 4:10pm, I just need to be at the airport before midnight, oh I hope I'm not THAT LATE!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds