Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Passenger Trains > Access to Rental Car From Seattle-Amtrak Station

Date: 09/14/11 09:58
Access to Rental Car From Seattle-Amtrak Station
Author: livesteamer

Planned trip to Seattle will be by Amtrak. How close is the nearest rental car agency to the Seatlle Amtrak Station? Hate to have to head out to airport.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/11 09:58 by livesteamer.

Date: 09/14/11 10:14
Re: Access to Rental Car From Seattle-Amtrak Station
Author: andersonb109

I have rented often from National located at the Hilton Downtown which I believe is on either 4th or 5th St. I have walked it with limited luggage. Taxi is probably necessary with more than just one roll bag. I don't think they pick up at King Street but may pay for a taxi? There must be other companys downtown as well but I always use National because of their more favorable one way rates.

Date: 09/14/11 10:47
Author: ABB

Call the Amtrak 800 number and talk to an agent. They can usually tell you where the car rentals are located in relation to the station.

Date: 09/14/11 10:50
Author: agent1522

From Closest to furthest away from King St. Station:

Budget-801 4th Ave (4th & Columbia) 206-682-8989
Hertz-1501 8th Ave (8th & Pike) 206-903-6260
Avis-1919 5th Ave (On 5th Ave between Stewart & Virginia) 206-448-1700
Enterprise 2116 Westlake Ave 206-382-1051

Hetz and Enterprise will probably pick you up depending on how busy they are. Budget and Avis are close to bus stops. Take any bus that goes up 4th Avenue. If you have alot of luggage, I would suggest taking a taxi since the area is in the free ride zone. Busses have a tendency to be very crowded here. The closest bus stop is 4th and Jackson (about 3 blocks away) or the International District on the east side of Union Station. FYI, 4th Ave is one way northbound and 5th Ave is one way southbound.

You can PM us. If you have time, we'd be happy to show you around.

Bob and Elizabeth

Date: 09/14/11 11:04
Author: reindeerflame

agent1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From Closest to furthest away from King St.
> Station:
>
> Budget-801 4th Ave (4th & Columbia) 206-682-8989
> Hertz-1501 8th Ave (8th & Pike) 206-903-6260
> Avis-1919 5th Ave (On 5th Ave between Stewart &
> Virginia) 206-448-1700
> Enterprise 2116 Westlake Ave 206-382-1051
>
> Hetz and Enterprise will probably pick you up
> depending on how busy they are. Budget and Avis
> are close to bus stops. Take any bus that goes up
> 4th Avenue. If you have alot of luggage, I would
> suggest taking a taxi since the area is in the
> free ride zone. Busses have a tendency to be very
> crowded here. The closest bus stop is 4th and
> Jackson (about 3 blocks away) or the International
> District on the east side of Union Station. FYI,
> 4th Ave is one way northbound and 5th Ave is one
> way southbound.
>
> You can PM us. If you have time, we'd be happy to
> show you around.
>
> Bob and Elizabeth

It's remarkable how even the smallest airport has rental cars directly at the airport, but Amtrak has few rental car agencies, even at many of its busiest stations. It's an indication that rental car operators don't think Amtrak is important enough, and it may reflect lack of interest by Amtrak in recruiting and joint marketing. Seattle, Bakersfield, and Sacramento should all be busy enough to warrant a rental car agency. Something is wrong.

Date: 09/14/11 11:15
Author: houstonguy2010

I know for a fact that Enterprise will pick you up from Seattle Amtrak...and drop you off as well!

Date: 09/14/11 12:32
Author: TomPlatten

I have had Enterprise pick me up in KC. I called them about 15 minutes before I arrived and they were waiting at the curb!!!

Date: 09/14/11 13:01
Author: robj

r
>
> It's remarkable how even the smallest airport has
> rental cars directly at the airport, but Amtrak
> has few rental car agencies, even at many of its
> busiest stations. It's an indication that rental
> car operators don't think Amtrak is important
> enough, and it may reflect lack of interest by
> Amtrak in recruiting and joint marketing.
> Seattle, Bakersfield, and Sacramento should all be
> busy enough to warrant a rental car agency.
> Something is wrong.

Airports usually either allocate space or are out of the main business area and space is readily available. There is also probably a perceived or real client difference(ie younger college students for one are less likely tor rent than be picked up by someone). I found an airport near Denver that was corporate only and had a Hertz location. This would be prized clients base as opposed to...........

I think Enterprise will pick you up anywhere(within reason), isn't that one of their selling points?

Bob

Date: 09/14/11 15:40
Author: poffcapt

houstonguy2010 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know for a fact that Enterprise will pick you up
> from Seattle Amtrak...and drop you off as well!

Doesn't it all depend upon what time your train arrives?

Walking over to the LINK Light Rail International District station and taking light rail to the airport is also an option. It is fast, cheap and reliable.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS412US412&q=seattle+light+rail+map&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x54906a639c344c69:0x347db6a48ea00b86,St+Light+Rail+%26+S+Stevens+St&gl=us&daddr=St%20Light%20Rail%20&%20S%20Stevens%20St=&ei=AipxTsXlHZDZiALM6_2rAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CFgQwwUwAA

Barry Stone

Date: 09/14/11 20:05
Author: rehalljr

I agree, the light rail is a good option from Seattle King St Amtrak Station to the airport. I did it mid morning, last year, and all worked well. I don't know what the issues would be later in the day [or night]. The station is a medium to long block away from Amtrak, on the other side of the nicely restored-I walked through it- other railway station whose name I can't remember [Union?? I don't remember; it has been too long since I was 18]. Rich Hall

Date: 09/14/11 20:06
Author: P

ALbany, NY does not even have rental car service available on Sundays. There is an Enterprise location right in the station, but inexplicably, it is closed on Sundays.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds