Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Passenger Trains > What does Rocky Mountaineer pay the RR's?

Date: 10/29/11 09:31
What does Rocky Mountaineer pay the RR's?
Author: ts1457

Anyone knows? I assume we have a privately held corporation that has confidential contracts with CP and CN, so information is hard to come by. Even a good guess would be interesting to have. Years ago I watched a conference on passenger rail that might have been on CSPAN. I remember the CEO of Rocky Mountaineer saying that CN and CP like seeing him come in the door, because unlike with Via, they know that they can make some money with him. That statement has stuck in my mind over the years, and I think the answer of what RM pays could have some relevance for policy in the USA.

I've done some searching since I first made this post, and was reminded that we touched on this subject over a year ago:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2210224,page=1

Still if anyone has any clue as to what the railroads get, the information would be interesting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/11 11:24 by ts1457.

Date: 10/31/11 19:00
Re: What does Rocky Mountaineer pay the RR's?
Author: eminence_grise

The current Transport Act for Canada, "Freedom to Move" was passed by the Canadian Government in the 1980's, and has been amended several times since. It was the "de-regulation" act for Canada similar to the Staggers Act in the US.

Contracts between the carriers and their customers are confidential, except that the carriers are not supposed to provide transportation at a loss.

Neither the Armstrong Hospitality Group, CP or CN has ever published the amounts the "Rocky Mountaineer" pays to use the railway lines and services.

While running on the CN between Vancouver and Jasper, including trackage rights on the CP eastbound through the Fraser and Thompson Canyons, Rocky Mountaineer employs its own engine crews. On CP and the former BCR line of CN, Rocky Mountaineer employs crews from the host railways.

Rocky Mountaineer also employs its own switch crews and shop staff in Kamloops.

Date: 10/31/11 21:41
Re: What does Rocky Mountaineer pay the RR's?
Author: ts1457

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neither the Armstrong Hospitality Group, CP or CN
> has ever published the amounts the "Rocky
> Mountaineer" pays to use the railway lines and
> services.

Thanks, I figured that was the case. If getting the figures was possible, knowing how they compared to what Amtrak pays sure would be interesting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds