Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Passenger Trains > This day in passenger train history

Date: 01/22/12 06:35
This day in passenger train history
Author: RevRandy

At 10:34am (ET), on January 22, 1912, the first through non-work train of the Florida East Coast Railway arrived in Key West. The train, led by oil-burning engine number 48 (a 1901 Schenectady-built 4-4-2) had private car number 91, "The Rambler" on the rear, bearing Henry Morrison Flagler. Flagler experienced the completion of his great engineering feat of connecting 120 miles of isolated islands and the deep water port of Key West with the mainland.

The train was met by a crowd of 10,000. 1000 children, all dressed in white, formed a chorus to welcome Mr. Flagler. Dignitaries from countries around the world were present. Parties of celebration occurred all around town, well into the night.

(It is true that with the closing of the Knight's Key drawbridge the day before and the passage of an inspection train -- moving at no more than 10 mph and carrying a gang of gandy dancers -- the line was essentially complete and a through train run the day before.)

Flagler's train was followed almost immediately by two other trains; they brought more dignitaries of state and national prominence. The yard at Trumbo Point had been built large enough to accommodate many passenger and freight trains. The first revenue train left Key West for the north at 5pm on January 22, 1912.

Now, a hundred years later, our little island city will celebrate that achievement. A parade of history will travel our main street as we remember the day when we became linked with the rest of the United States. Last night fireworks filled the sky from a celebration held at the Casa Marina Resort, the old Flagler-built hotel. In my service this morning (I am a Unitarian Universalist minister here), my summoning sound, most recorded bells from around the world, will be that of a steam engine whistling its approach.

Attached is a photo of a piece of the great Seven Mile Bridge (when completed it was the longest continuous bridge in the world.)

Date: 01/22/12 06:51
Re: This day in passenger train history
Author: Out_Of_Service

RevRandy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At 10:34am (ET), on January 22, 1912, the first
> through non-work train of the Florida East Coast
> Railway arrived in Key West. The train, led by
> oil-burning engine number 48 (a 1901
> Schenectady-built 4-4-2) had private car number
> 91, "The Rambler" on the rear, bearing Henry
> Morrison Flagler. Flagler experienced the
> completion of his great engineering feat of
> connecting 120 miles of isolated islands and the
> deep water port of Key West with the mainland.
>
> The train was met by a crowd of 10,000. 1000
> children, all dressed in white, formed a chorus to
> welcome Mr. Flagler. Dignitaries from countries
> around the world were present. Parties of
> celebration occurred all around town, well into
> the night.
>
> (It is true that with the closing of the Knight's
> Key drawbridge the day before and the passage of
> an inspection train -- moving at no more than 10
> mph and carrying a gang of gandy dancers -- the
> line was essentially complete and a through train
> run the day before.)
>
> Flagler's train was followed almost immediately by
> two other trains; they brought more dignitaries of
> state and national prominence. The yard at Trumbo
> Point had been built large enough to accommodate
> many passenger and freight trains. The first
> revenue train left Key West for the north at 5pm
> on January 22, 1912.
>
> Now, a hundred years later, our little island city
> will celebrate that achievement. A parade of
> history will travel our main street as we remember
> the day when we became linked with the rest of the
> United States. Last night fireworks filled the sky
> from a celebration held at the Casa Marina Resort,
> the old Flagler-built hotel. In my service this
> morning (I am a Unitarian Universalist minister
> here), my summoning sound, most recorded bells
> from around the world, will be that of a steam
> engine whistling its approach.
>
> Attached is a photo of a piece of the great Seven
> Mile Bridge (when completed it was the longest
> continuous bridge in the world.)

a thread i posted on the subject on the nostalgia board:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2666853

Date: 01/22/12 07:35
Author: shoretower

I first drove the Overseas Highway, on the original railroad bridges, in 1973. It was a wonderful trip, but at times a white-knuckle experience with the narrow lanes.

I've been down the highway several times since, and I've been dismayed at the growth that has happened in the Keys. Things might have been better if the railroad was still there and a highway had never been built.

Date: 01/22/12 08:54
Author: RuleG

That's a great photo.

Anyone who is interested in knowing more about this history of this line should read the book "Last Train to Paradise" by Les Standiford.

(Don't confuse this with another book with the same title by Graham Hutchins which is about New Zealand railways)

Date: 01/22/12 10:29
Author: dan

program on cable, railway that went to sea or something, all thou a british train is featured as the last train out ahead of the storm

Date: 01/22/12 11:02
Author: 8notch

Here is another great book about the FEC.
Its called Speedway to Sunshine by Seth Bramson printed by The Boston Mill Press in 1984.
I have a autographed copy of it signed by Seth.
Robert.

Date: 01/22/12 14:29
Author: shoretower

"The Railroad that Died at Sea", by Pat Parks, is the best book I know of about the Key West Extension specifically.

I have Bramson's book as well. I grew up riding the ACL/FEC and SAL to SE Florida from NY every winter.

Date: 01/22/12 16:14
Author: jbaker

This reminded me of another long causeway. What happened to the SP track across the Great Salt Lake? I'm assuming it was abandoned. I remember Amtrak used it, I think until they moved to the CZ route.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.07 seconds