Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Passenger Trains > DC area Purple Line has some choices to make

Date: 03/04/12 07:30
DC area Purple Line has some choices to make
Author: Lackawanna484

The "Purple Line" is a proposed new rail line which will link the ends of several current rail lines with MARC and Amtrak, and hopefully revitalize older, inner suburbs of Maryland along the DC border. This is a Maryland project, coordinated with DC transportation authorities. It will eventually wind its way from the MARC / Amtrak station at New Carrolton westerly to at least Rockville

The Washington Post reports that the crossing of busy Connecticut Avenue, near the Beltway, is emerging as a major obstacle. The original plan to bridge the street is inflating rapidly in cost. An alternate plan to cross the highway at grade is cheaper, but likely to create even more traffic congestion. A third plan, to route the line through a nearby shopping area has some residents and shop owners on edge. A fourth plan to repurpose an existing tunnel has neighbors and cost conscious observers in an uproar.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/maryland-transit-planners-reconsider-purple-line-bridge-trains-may-cross-conn-ave-instead/2012/03/02/gIQApwFMmR_story.html?sub=AR

Date: 03/04/12 13:15
Re: DC area Purple Line has some choices to make
Author: john1082

Read about this in the Post this morning. I'd re-purpose the tunnel and find some sort of surface path for the walkers, strollers, joggers, and daisy pickers.

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 03/05/12 21:11
Re: DC area Purple Line has some choices to make
Author: Clarence

I'm not that familar with the area, but wouldn't a pedestrian overpass and light rail in the repurposed tunnel be a viable solution? I know Conn. Avenue is very busy so crossing at grade isn't really an option for anybody. A ped bridge has to cost much less than a light rail one. I know if I was on thrail I'd rather be up on an overpass than in a tube under the ground.
Clarence

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds