Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > Hoosier State article

Date: 11/02/12 20:09
Hoosier State article
Author: cashfare

Date: 11/03/12 04:41
Re: Hoosier State article
Author: P

One of the commenters estimated ridership on the Hoosier state at 20,000 a year. Can anyone share the actual annual ridership?

Date: 11/03/12 06:10
Author: RailThunder

There are three things fighting the train. The departure time of 6 AM. That is way too early, move it up to 8AM. Next the track between Indy and Chicago is not high speed by any scope of the imagination. Somehow, some way that needs to be looked at for the long term. Same is true with the meandering route to get into Chicago after Dyer. Another thing is figure out a way to extend this train so it originates in Ciincinatti and rebuild the corridor in the same way for enhanced speed. Maybe the former NYC Big Four Route?

Date: 11/03/12 10:40
Author: 4552

RailThunder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are three things fighting the train. The
> departure time of 6 AM. That is way too early,
> move it up to 8AM. Next the track between Indy
> and Chicago is not high speed by any scope of the
> imagination. Somehow, some way that needs to be
> looked at for the long term. Same is true with
> the meandering route to get into Chicago after
> Dyer. Another thing is figure out a way to extend
> this train so it originates in Ciincinatti and
> rebuild the corridor in the same way for enhanced
> speed. Maybe the former NYC Big Four Route?

The routing of this train north of Dyer will eventually improve. Amtrak is working to permanently reroute this train on an all CN route from Chicago to Munster, IN via Harvey, IL. A planned one day detour over this very route will happen with 851 tomorrow.

Date: 11/03/12 10:49
Author: Nictd1000

Oh really?

Guess I need to hang out around Thorton Jct and shoot em under that GTW signal..

851 being the northbound run.

Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 10:49 by Nictd1000.

Date: 11/04/12 06:06
Author: timecruncher

The current administration in the Indiana capital is not interested in transit or intercity rail. This governor has done a credible job of getting the state on a positive foot financially, and lowering our property taxes considerably. Hopefully his successor will be kinder to rail and bus travel.

The biggest problem with the current routing is the condition of the railroad. CSX has allowed the Monon Sub to deteriorate to the point where a ride between Lafayette and Dyer is akin to the most bone-jarring ride on a roller coaster you could imagine.

What I am more interested in is exactly how 851 will connect between the ex-GTW and the ex-IC northbound. I haven't noticed a connecting track other than what appears to be an industrial spur that may or may not be intact between Thornton Junction and points beyond the CN/Metra Electric overpass.

... And didn't I read somewhere that CSX was acquiring the CN line from Munster to Barr Yard since CN was no longer using it [much] since their purchase of EJ&E?

timecruncher

Date: 11/04/12 16:42
Author: scraphauler

If Amtrak or Indiana or whomever where interested in improving/growing the Hoosier State, it would be a daily train operated on it's own schedule independent of the Cardinal. But since their is a lot of noise that the Hoosier State will be eliminated in 2013 with the Card taking over the Hoosier's hospital train duties, I doubt that will be happening anytime soon, regardless of who wins the the Statehouse.

An interesting side note to Amtrak in Indianapolis is that Indianapolis area US Representative Andre Carson(D)is pledging to make sure Amtrak's Beech Grove shops remain open in his recent TV re-election ads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/12 16:43 by scraphauler.

Date: 11/05/12 07:53
Author: calumet

timecruncher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The current administration in the Indiana capital
> is not interested in transit or intercity rail.
> This governor has done a credible job of getting
> the state on a positive foot financially, and
> lowering our property taxes considerably.
> Hopefully his successor will be kinder to rail and
> bus travel.

His successor will very likely be the Republican candidate, who is an ally of the Tea Party. The house of representatives has a large Republican majority with many of them Tea Party types. It's very unlikely that Hoosier State funding will come to pass.

> The biggest problem with the current routing is
> the condition of the railroad. CSX has allowed
> the Monon Sub to deteriorate to the point where a
> ride between Lafayette and Dyer is akin to the
> most bone-jarring ride on a roller coaster you
> could imagine.

A few years ago, CSX cut the top speed from 79 mph to 60. That, together with the rerouting via UP and CN back in the late '90s, has increased the running time between Chicago and Lafayette from two and a half hours to three hours and 15 minutes. The bus is both faster and cheaper. Don't expect any improvement in scheduling.

> What I am more interested in is exactly how 851
> will connect between the ex-GTW and the ex-IC
> northbound. I haven't noticed a connecting track
> other than what appears to be an industrial spur
> that may or may not be intact between Thornton
> Junction and points beyond the CN/Metra Electric
> overpass.
>
> ... And didn't I read somewhere that CSX was
> acquiring the CN line from Munster to Barr Yard
> since CN was no longer using it since their
> purchase of EJ&E?

CSX acquired an easement on the CN ex-GTW from Elsdon to Munster. I don't see how this will help matters. Both RRs are among the least friendly to passenger service among the Class 1s.

A connection to the ex-IC main at Harvey has been talked about. It's unlikely in my view since CN doesn't want another passenger train on its main line (it was hard enough to get them to agree to a second corridor train to Carbondale). Also, it is hard to see how this will improve running time since the required backup move at Canal St is very time-consuming.

Date: 11/06/12 06:02
Author: cashfare

The connection at Harvey already exists and has been used about 2-3 times a year for the past few years. The main issue now is it puts you over on a slow yard track with hand throw crossovers to get to the main. Still, the detour takes less time than the normal route via You-Pee and and Center.
>
> A connection to the ex-IC main at Harvey has been
> talked about. It's unlikely in my view since CN
> doesn't want another passenger train on its main
> line (it was hard enough to get them to agree to a
> second corridor train to Carbondale). Also, it is
> hard to see how this will improve running time
> since the required backup move at Canal St is very
> time-consuming.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0845 seconds