Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > "A Few Thanksgiving Trains..."

Date: 11/24/12 21:27
"A Few Thanksgiving Trains..."
Author: aussiehinz

Captured a few passenger trains here in Chicago's South Loop District on the day before Thanksgiving, always one of the year's biggest travel days. Many trains had extra equipment, including a 15 car "Lake Shore Limited," and extra trains to Michigan and outstate Illinois. Hope all are having an enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. "Wolverine Service" Train #352 for Detroit and Pontiac MI passes under 18th Street, starting its journey east... November 21, 2012

2. An extra long #49, the "Lake Short Limited" from New York and Boston, is about to pass under Canal Street as it turns in front of "MH" Tower... November 21, 2012

3. An inbound Metra Southwest Service train glides under 18th Street while #49 waits in the wye to complete its equipment turn... November 21, 2012

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/12 21:47 by aussiehinz.

Date: 11/24/12 21:27
Re: "A Few Thanksgiving Trains..."

4. The Metra commute now clear, #49 heads south out of the wye, crossing over to prepare to reverse direction through the car washer in the distance... November 21, 2012

5. Amtrak #390, the "Saluki," from Carbondale, backs into Chicago Union Station with an extra snack bar lounge... November 21, 2012

6. Amtrak #21, the "Texas Eagle," departs Chicago Union Station on time at 1:45 pm CST, heading for Texas... November 21, 2012

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/12 10:26 by aussiehinz.

Date: 11/24/12 21:35

7. Amtrak #22 arrives in the Windy City with a pair of P-42's and an extra Superliner coach... November 21, 2012

8. In swiftly encroaching shadows, #5, the "California Zephyr," departs on time at 2 pm for the west... November 21, 2012

9. Metra's outbound rush hour began aroundt 2:30 pm Wednesday, to accomodate early commuter departures from the Loop on this day before Thanksgiving... November 21, 2012

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/12 21:48 by aussiehinz.

Date: 11/25/12 07:38
Author: joemvcnj

What I am told by a mid-westerner is the double Amfleet dinettes on the Carbondale trains are there to provide minimum axle count to trip CN's flimsy track circuits. They let people ride them, they are out of the NEC Regional pool, so they have Wifi, which is only discovered by passengers, and the rumor passes around.

Date: 11/25/12 07:55
Author: chess

Always enjoy seeing your pictures aussiehinz... I've been to Chicago about a dozen times, both to railfan and just visit, and your pics always remind me of the great times had in the windy city! Can't wait for my next Chicago trip! Thanks again...

Date: 11/25/12 14:22
Author: mundo

On 21 Nov wed the 390 series trains had two cafe business class cars and were all sold out in Business Class.

On the Detroit line, trains 364-352-354 all had two cafe business and were sold ut in Business Class.

Date: 11/25/12 15:26
Author: jp1822

Where are these extra Amfleets and Superliners the rest of the year?

I think I have heard reports now that ALL of Amtrak's long distance trains are operting with extra coaches, and Viewliners in the case of the Silver Star.

Where are these cars the rest of the year? I don't mean to be sarcastic, but all year long the Empire Builder has been struggling with its standard consist of coaches and sleepers. Even with the Minneapolis/St. Paul Superliner added/subtracted in teh summer, this train was constantly being overbooked, overcrowded, or posted a SOLD OUT status. It was in dire need of an additional Superliner coach, let alone Superliner sleeper.

Amtrak did a pretty good job, from what I can see, of adding coaches/sleepers to its Thanksgiving fleet. But all year long the Empire Builder really suffered with a lack of equipment. Granted service and OTP was lacking this year on the route, but passengers were still booking on the Empire Builder!

Date: 11/25/12 23:54
Author: chakk

Does the Texas Eagle always run without a baggage car? If so, where is the checked baggage stored? In one of the coaches with a separate baggage compartment on the lower level?

Date: 11/26/12 05:34
Author: DavidP

chakk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the Texas Eagle always run without a baggage
> car? If so, where is the checked baggage stored?
> In one of the coaches with a separate baggage
> compartment on the lower level?

Yes and yes.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0674 seconds