Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Passenger Trains > Black Friday with the SF Muni 1009

Date: 11/25/12 21:00
Black Friday with the SF Muni 1009
Author: tracktime

On Black Friday, when half the world was busting down doors and each other at the local big-box stores, I instead set out for a little drive around town and happened to stumble upon Muni double-ended PCC 1009 making its break-in runs on the L-Taraval line. This particular car has been freshly restored to the colors of Dallas Railway & Terminal.

You could smell the paint on this fine car.. She looked terrific. Great job to Brookville for restoring this car to its present glory.

Photo 1 shows Muni 1009 at 46th & Taraval Sts.
Photo 2: A closeup of the DR&T Herald
Photo 3: Muni 1009 at the turnaround by the SF Zoo.

It certainly helped that the weather was very cooperative (i.e. NOT foggy!)
Muni 1009 was seen again the following night on Ocean Avenue making her way back to the car barn.

Cheers,
Harry K. Wong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/12 21:01 by tracktime.

Date: 11/25/12 21:24
Re: Black Friday with the SF Muni 1009
Author: DNRY122

In case there are any questions about the skills of the Brookville workers, take a look at these "before" photos from Sept 2010. One wonders how much "historic fabric" left; the old saying "Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" comes to mind. Reminds me of the story of the cable car restoration where they "jacked up the gong and built a new car underneath it." Note that long before 1009 descended to this state of decrepitude, it only had three doors; after a collision in the 1960s's, the "off-side" rear door was plated over. Now we await the arrival of 1011, which is scheduled to have a Market Street Ry. paint job from the 1930s. MSRy drew up plans for a double-ended PCC but never had the funds to order any. Over 70 years later, this dream will come true.

Date: 11/25/12 21:49
Author: rwelkerjr

I didn't know that the restored cars were able to be used anywhere except the F line. Could somebody point me at an article (or thread) where this is dicsussed? Did a quick search here on TO and didn't see anything. Thanks.
Ray

Date: 11/25/12 21:57

rwelkerjr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't know that the restored cars were able to
> be used anywhere except the F line. Could
> somebody point me at an article (or thread) where
> this is dicsussed? Did a quick search here on TO
> and didn't see anything. Thanks.
> Ray

PCC cars are often found on the L-Taraval and K-Ingleside lines (amongst others) on test/break-in runs after repairs/refurbishment, or found on other lines returning to the car barn(s). During test runs, passengers are not allowed to board.

I'm sure the Muni experts on this board can elaborate in much more detail than I.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/26/12 00:02
Author: GP25

Anyword when #1011 is due to return?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 11/26/12 01:22

Here's Muni 1006, one of two "Torpedoes" in the original 1948 paint job. This was on Sept. 8, when I spotted it on the "K" line, and finally caught up with it on the "M".

1) Near the original M line terminal at Broad and Plymouth.

2) Crossing Ocean Ave. under the neon Railroad Crossing sign.

The rebuilt cars are tested on the K, L and M lines; they cannot run in the Muni Metro subway or the Twin Peaks Tunnel because the trolley wire is no longer compatible with trolley poles. Apparently Muni does not want to run them on the "J" (which provides access to downtown) or the "F" (their usual service route) until they have passed "burn-in".

Date: 11/26/12 01:36
Author: poffcapt

Beautiful photos by both of you. Everytime I see SF vintage equipment, I am reminded of the 1992 NRHS Convention in San Jose, and our trip up the Peninsula behind SP2472 for a trolley tour on vintage cars.

Thanks for posting.

Barry

Date: 11/26/12 07:07
Author: stone23

DNRY122 Wrote:
> Reminds me of the story of the cable car
> restoration where they "jacked up the gong and
> built a new car underneath it."

That expression goes back to WWII when the Akron (OH) Transportation Co. "jacked up the whistle" and built new Peter Witt cars (front entrance-center exit) underneath. The only line still running at that time was the Kenmore-Barberton line!

For you railroad members, Akron still had passenger railroad service by the Pennsylvania RR, The Baltimore and Ohio RR, The Erie Railroad, and the Akron, Canton, and Youngstown RR.

Date: 11/26/12 08:46
Author: rdb3

It's good to see more beautiful double-ended cars on the roster to support E-Line service from Fisherman's Wharf to the Caltrain Station at 4th & King. Great job, Market Street Railway folks!

Rick

Date: 11/27/12 07:17
Author: rrhistorian

What is the best way to find out about these test runs in advance?

Date: 11/27/12 15:46

I don't have a source at Muni, but I suspect that if you hang around Balboa Park or West Portal on a weekday between 10 am and 3 pm, one of them will turn up. Since the car is under test by shop workers, it may stay in the barn on weekends. Another suggestion is to ask at Cameron Beach Yard (formerly Geneva Division) and see if any of the Muni personnel can help. As far as I know, 1006 and 1008 have "passed their physicals" and are available for service.

Date: 11/27/12 23:13

DNRY122 Wrote:
> I don't have a source at Muni, but I suspect that
> if you hang around Balboa Park or West Portal on a
> weekday between 10 am and 3 pm, one of them will
> turn up. Since the car is under test by shop
> workers, it may stay in the barn on weekends.
> Another suggestion is to ask at Cameron Beach Yard
> (formerly Geneva Division) and see if any of the
> Muni personnel can help. As far as I know, 1006
> and 1008 have "passed their physicals" and are
> available for service.

Good tips! FYI, the 1009 was still out and about on her break-in regimen on the L-Taraval line today.

Cheers,
Harry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0882 seconds