Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Passenger Trains > VIA cars on Amtrak's Adirondak

Date: 11/27/12 12:43
VIA cars on Amtrak's Adirondak
Author: chuchubob

I rode train 69 from NYP to Port Henry and train 68 back on Monday to enjoy the Park dome.
1 and 2 prior to departing Albany-Rensselaer
3. departing Port Henry

Date: 11/27/12 12:48
Re: VIA cars on Amtrak's Adirondak

4 and 5 were snapped before the train departed Rensellaer and before occupation of the car was permitted.
4. observation car area on lower level
5. dome
6. Schenectady

Date: 11/27/12 12:50

7. Albany
8. Saratoga Springs
9. Whitehall

Date: 11/27/12 13:20
Author: cashfare

What a beautiful train. Wish I could have gotten up there to ride it. Thanks for posting!

Date: 11/27/12 13:39
Author: joemvcnj

Nice that is happened, probably will not again. Importing these 12 cars saved Amtrak just one trainset of 4 coaches and a dinette, or for want of just 264 revenue seats.

It may not be a bad idea to get the 2 Park cars back in the autumn, hitch onto the rear of the regular Amfleet train, rather than bother with the Great Dome for alternate trips. Leave that for more duty on the Cardinal. Little more complicated switching in Albany though. They should also sell the 3 Bedrooms for a price demand will bare to fund the rental.

Date: 11/27/12 16:30
Author: RNinRVR

What I don't understand is what they are doing between NYC and Albany. Are they putting the passengers for Montreal on a regular Empire service train or is the normal Amfleet train set doing the NYC - Albany run and then laying over until the south bound gets in then head back south. If this is the case then they are not saving anything.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 11/27/12 16:50
Author: joemvcnj

They still have to protect NYPS-ALB of 68/69 with an Amfleet set. Maybe or maybe not the exact same cars that would have run to Montreal. They saved one trainset, but as I said, a big much-to-do about not much in return.

It was a goodwill gesture by VIA Rail, who initiated it, as they regard Amtrak an important business partner. Methinks another agenda was their ulterior motive of "You Americans come up to Canada next summer to ride OUR nice trains", basically a free marketing ploy, which is fine by me.

Date: 11/27/12 17:20
Re: VIA cars on Amtrak's Adirondack
Author: CP8888

Picture 6 taken very near the former ALCO site.
Former ALCO office building is to the left.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0692 seconds