Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Mica takes on the TSA

Date: 12/04/12 06:09
Mica takes on the TSA
Author: Lackawanna484

The NY Times reports that the House of Representatives has demanded that the Transportation Security Agency present itself to a house hearing. The TSA has declined, contending it is not subject to congressional review by this committee.

Many observers have commented that the TSA's oversight by the Homeland Security Committee has resulted in a "security" focus in preference to a customer friendly focus, which would be the result of additional review by Mica's committee.

>> The reason, the agency later explained, is that oversight for the T.S.A. resides in the House Homeland Security Committee — not the aviation subcommittee, which is a part of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. The agency noted that in the 112th Congress alone, officials had testified at 38 hearings and provided 425 individual briefings.

So the T.S.A. sat out that one last week — and got lambasted for it, at both the hearing and in some media accounts. <<

many federal agencies are subject to multiple committee oversight when their mandate crosses into multiple areas. Like farm companies being subject to the Ag department, the Financial institutions group, export oversight, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/business/tsa-skips-house-panel-hearing-on-privatizing-airport-checkpoint-security.html?ref=business

Date: 12/04/12 08:47
Re: Mica takes on the TSA
Author: MEKoch

At least on this one, I hope Mica shreds the TSA. An absolute big waste of money by our Federal gov't.

Date: 12/04/12 11:14

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least on this one, I hope Mica shreds the TSA.
> An absolute big waste of money by our Federal
> gov't.

We'll have to see if Bill Shuster, the incoming chairman, follows up on this.

Rep. Peter King (R-NY) has been sharply critical of TSA's management and employee relations / training, security and background checking, etc. he heads up the primary oversight for TSA in the House.

Date: 12/05/12 04:48
Author: navy5717th

MEKoch Wrote:
> At least on this one, I hope Mica shreds the TSA.
> An absolute big waste of money by our Federal
> gov't.

It's not only a colossal waste of money, it's also an unnecessary, unwarranted intrusion into the lives of the traveling public.

How many airplane hijackings have been prevented by TSA? How many would-be bombers has TSA caught?*

One of the saddest things about TSA's harassment is that it's now accepted as routine. In most people's minds there's always been a TSA.

The public has been snookered into believing that TSA is protecting them, when in fact what it's really doing is hassling them -- and metastasizing -- at the public's expense.

Fritz in HSV, AL

* A negative's hard to prove, so it's specious to say :"Nobody knows how many tragedies TSA has prevented."

Date: 12/05/12 05:42
Author: PERichardson

If they've prevented one hijacking or crash, it's worth it. If you don't like it, stay out of airports. I still fly 100,000+ miles annually and I hope TSA finds most of the bad stuff. And I have yet to have a negative experience with the entire process.

I remember when the first metal detectors were installed at airports; same fuss. All our secret numbers, etc. are available on the internet too. As the bad guys become better at what they do, things will become more intrusive for the good guys. Look at London, there's a camera on virtually every street, not to mention mobile units, but I suspect most people there prefer that to subway bombings and the like.

Date: 12/05/12 06:45
Author: hoggerdoug

I worked for the Canadian version of your TSA. We were trained to be "customer friendly" and make the screening process hassle free as best we could. There are a lot of things that are detected in luggage and carry on bags that don't make the news, but are dangerous. Also remember there are items, chemicals, liquids etc that are not permitted on aircraft simply due to the toxic nature or fire hazard of the item, Those items we look for as well as what some "bad guy" might try to get on board.Doug

Date: 12/05/12 07:40

The weapons count pulled at places like Newark, Miami, Chicago, etc is pretty impressive. Routine stuff like a Sig in the waistband, and 500 rounds of hollow point bullets in the carry on, etc. Lots of folks are in lines of work where packing heat is desirable. For a while, Newark was pulling one firearm a day.

They don't bother to read the signs about no 4oz or larger bottles of liquids, or weapons etc past this point...

[Edited to add a comma in the last sentence. I received a PM from a reader who was confused about how you'd get a weapon into a 4oz bottle, etc. Hopefully, this will clear up the confusion.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/12 12:39 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 12/05/12 13:57
Author: march_hare

In the name of increasing government efficiency, I propose that the TSA be moved from its present position in the Department of Homeland Security.

It is fundamentally a theatrical performance; consequently it should be funded through the National Endowment for the Arts.

Date: 12/05/12 15:25
Author: ProAmtrak

navy5717th Wrote:
> MEKoch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > At least on this one, I hope Mica shreds the
> TSA.
> > An absolute big waste of money by our Federal
> > gov't.
>
> It's not only a colossal waste of money, it's also
> an unnecessary, unwarranted intrusion into the
> lives of the traveling public.
>
> How many airplane hijackings have been prevented
> by TSA? How many would-be bombers has TSA
> caught?*
>
> One of the saddest things about TSA's harassment
> is that it's now accepted as routine. In most
> people's minds there's always been a TSA.
>
> The public has been snookered into believing that
> TSA is protecting them, when in fact what it's
> really doing is hassling them -- and metastasizing
> -- at the public's expense.
>
>
> Fritz in HSV, AL
>
> * A negative's hard to prove, so it's specious to
> say :"Nobody knows how many tragedies TSA has
> prevented."

Ain't that the truth, and that's why flying has becoming very unpopular these days too is because of their idiotic tactics!

Date: 12/05/12 21:25
Author: DNRY122

Of course it's the "bad apples", the "give 'em a badge and they think they own the place" types that generate the negative press. Last time I went through a TSA checkpoint was in Little Rock, Ark. and everyone was treated with courtesy and the inspectors weren't afraid to chat a bit with boarding passengers. One of them even asked about my Ben Davis work shirt (my usual attire for all but the most formal occasions). Actually, chatting with passengers can tip off the inspectors to someone who "just doesn't ring true"--I think that's an element in the Israeli system.

Date: 12/07/12 15:02
Author: ProAmtrak

That always works, helps out a lot too when it comes to finding the "bad guys!"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds