Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Passenger Trains > "Around Chicago Today..."

Date: 12/05/12 14:55
"Around Chicago Today..."
Author: aussiehinz

Some interesting late autumn skies over Chicago this afternoon attracted me trackside for some of today's long distance Amtrak departures. Somehow, after observing #5, I successfully made it up busy Western Avenue from the BNSF Chicago SD to Tower "A-2" on Metra's ex MILW main line in time to catch #7 there. Then, a crosstown trek back to the BNSF, via Fulton Market (Racine Ave), allowed a view of departing #3 just west of Halsted Street. In between, I managed to catch a couple other moves as well. Here's a sample for those interested...

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. AMTK #5 accelerates west through the Western Avenue Metra station at 2:09 PM CST... December 5, 2012

2. AMTK "Hiawatha Service" Train #336 swings across the UP's (ex C&NW) 4 track Geneva SD at Western Avenue (Tower A-2) on the last leg of its Milwaukee-Chicago journey, 2:23 PM CST... December 5, 2012

3. A couple minutes later, and without's the sun's cooperation, AMTK #7 heads across the UP at "A-2" on its way north and west... 2:25 PM CST... December 5, 2012

Date: 12/05/12 14:55
Re: "Around Chicago Today..."

4. A Metra "Milwaukee West" service crosses Racine Ave at Milepost 1.5... 2:48 PM CST, December 5, 2012

5. Amtrak #3 glides west at Morgan Street... 3:05 PM CST, December 5, 2012

6. A view of Amtrak P42 #123 @ the Chicago Maintenance Facility, 3:18 PM CST, December 5, 2012

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/12 15:01 by aussiehinz.

Date: 12/05/12 15:05
Author: IC_2024

LOVE the storm lighting! And, as always, the old "Panhandle" signal at Racine Ave is a landmark location not to be missed.... thanks, MH!

Date: 12/05/12 15:29
Author: SpeederDriver

Beautiful photos. It's interesting that for the most part New York's commuter lines are electrified, and for the most part Chicago's are not.

Date: 12/05/12 15:37
Author: jp1822

SpeederDriver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful photos. It's interesting that for the
> most part New York's commuter lines are
> electrified, and for the most part Chicago's are
> not.

Eastern sections of Chicago are electrfied as is the line coming in from South Bend, but yes, I would agree. I would also point out that Chicago was built with multiple tracks in MANY areas and for longer distances than most commuter rail serving New York City. Most of the double, triple, quad etc. tracks still are maintained - thankfully. Chicago is less of a bottleneck than New York City, but NYC is also an island.......

Date: 12/05/12 15:54
Author: bxa1

What do you use for a camera? What mode do you use? The quality of your photos is phenomenal. I enjoy them very much :^)

Date: 12/05/12 16:03
Author: pummer

Once again, great stuff. The Metra shot is awesome.

Date: 12/05/12 16:10
Author: inCHI

IC_2024 Wrote:
> LOVE the storm lighting! And, as always, the old
> "Panhandle" signal at Racine Ave is a landmark
> location not to be missed.... thanks, MH!

It is gorgeous lighting but no storms today.

Date: 12/05/12 17:53
Author: CP8888

"Continental Paper Grading Company". Is this where
the University of Chicago grades term papers??

Date: 12/06/12 05:34
Author: sethamtrak

What engine is that I see In the picture of Engine 123?

Date: 12/06/12 16:31
Author: kevink

sethamtrak Wrote:
> What engine is that I see In the picture of Engine
> 123?

Looks like NS power that is probably switching the above mentioned Contiental Paper Grading Company.

Date: 12/06/12 23:32

Yes, that's precisely what it was. Ducked in there while I was photographing the 123.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/07/12 04:47
Author: sethamtrak

That explains why I sometimes see NS power on the eastern side of the yard. Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/07/12 12:53
Author: lee45174

Love those PRR signals, not many left these days.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0814 seconds