Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Passenger Trains > A nice beginning to December, 12/1/12 in Ashland, VA

Date: 12/09/12 12:07
A nice beginning to December, 12/1/12 in Ashland, VA
Author: RNinRVR

Last Saturday I decided to venture to Ashland at 11:30 am and see what was moving on the RFP sub of CSX. I was rewarded with a total of 15 Amtrak and CSX trains by the time I left at 5:30 pm. This posting will cover the Amtrak trains and a compilation video of some of the Amtrak action. The rest of the videos can be found on YouTube at my channel, Sharon Evans. The day began with my hearing P089, the south bound Palmetto almost as soon as I set up. I picked a spot at the north end of town on the east side to start and was right by the Randolph Macon College Sports Center. As I listened to the radio I realized that it was engineer Doug Riddell running 89 which meant he did a short turn in Washington since he took 98 up earlier and usually returns on 91. He told me later that he was off duty between train about 30 minutes. The CSX photos for this day are at http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2937810

The first shot shows train 89 as it has just passed the North Ashland Signals and is approaching the crossing at West Patrick St.

Next 155 has gotten the train across W. Patrick St. and is headed toward the center of town.

A little over an hour later the south bound Carolinian comes though Ashland with the One Spot doing the honours.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 13:30 by RNinRVR.

Date: 12/09/12 12:11
Re: A nice beginning to December, 12/1/12 in Ashland, V

We now see P079 as it heads south away from my location with the low angle December sun glinting off the sides of the coaches.

Not long after P079 went by south, the Silver Star came north with P42 86 leading it between N. Center St and N. Railroad St. I am on the N. Railroad St. side.

The trailing unit today was P40 818, which I have seen on the Auto Train a number of times.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/09/12 12:14

The next Amtrak move scheduled past Ashland is the north bound Carolinian, P080, seen here with P42 200 leading it with the shadows of the low sun angle on its side.

Now a going away shot of the 200 as it gets into full sun.

Now a shot of the whole train as it gets between the buildings of the Ashland business district.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/09/12 12:20

After several hours the south bound group of Amtrak starts with regional P195 shown here with P42 119 bringing out of the station in Ashland after its stop.

Next is a shot of 195 as it heads between the 2 halves of S. Center St. with a clear signal at Langford beckoning.

This next image shows the lights from the lead unit on the south bound Silver Star as it approaches me in the fading light of this December afternoon.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/09/12 12:23

As the Star gets closer we get a clearer view of the lead unit P42 167 as it crosses Myrtle St.

Now we get a going away shot of the trailing P42 123.

As the last car of the Star heads toward an approach at Langford the fading light glows on the sides of the coaches.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/09/12 12:30

The final train I was waiting for was the Auto Train, P053. We see here the headlight of the lead unit, P40 835, as he comes south in the almost gone twilight of this early December day.

As the superliners streak by with the fading light there is a blurring.

Now here is a compliation video of several of the Amtrak trains that I saw. All of the videos are available, as noted in the first post, at YouTube.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/09/12 12:35
Author: a737flyer

Very good pictures! Liked the evening shadows.

Date: 12/09/12 12:36

a737flyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very good pictures! Liked the evening shadows.

Thank you, I was trying to see how I could do in fading light since that is what we deal with this time of year.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/09/12 15:53
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pics and videos Sharon!

Date: 12/09/12 19:18
Author: Clarence

Doug Riddell - that's a name I haven't heard in quite some time. I was reading his book just before moving to VA - it's packed away in the basement somewhere now.
Clarence

Date: 12/09/12 19:31

A week from tomorrow Doug will be making his final runs as an Amtrak Engineer retiring after a 35 year railroad career.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 12/09/12 20:42
Author: Clarence

If you know Doug please extend best wishes for a long and happy retirement from a satisfied reader.
Clarence

Date: 12/10/12 08:06
Author: palmland

Nice photos, Sharon. As a RMC alum from many years ago, it's always good to see things are doing well in that nice town. In my day, trains were Silver Comet, Florida Special, etc. Usually with RF&P power but occasionally ACL. Of course I took them for granted and took very few photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0769 seconds