Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Passenger Trains > How many sets of Downeaster equipment

Date: 12/09/12 17:22
How many sets of Downeaster equipment
Author: renf

I thought that, in the past, the Downeaster train was operated with
two sets of equipment. With the extension of service to Brunswick,
is it now necessary for Amtrak to use three sets of equipment?
Thanks

Date: 12/09/12 17:31
Re: How many sets of Downeaster equipment
Author: KSmitty

I had the same question a few weeks ago. I did out some quick figuring and in short, yes they are up to 3 sets.

Here's my figuring. First cluster is the schedule of each trainset. Sets 1 and 2 make 2 full BRU-BON or POR-BON rotations/day while set 3 makes 1 full POR-BON rotation. I assume they are rotating sets through each set is rolling equal mileage to keep Amtrak happy.
679 POR-BRU  682 BRU-BON  683 BON-POR  686 POR-BON 687 BON-POR 2 full rotations
680 POR-BON  681 BON-BRU  688 BRU-BON  689 BON-POR 2 full rotations
684 POR-BON  685 BON-BRU 676 BRU-POR 1 full rotation

And this second set is the train number, origin-destination and the train set that runs under that number.
North (Odds) South (Evens)
679 POR-BRU 1 680 POR-BON 2
681 BON-BRU 2 682 BRU-BON 1
683 BON-POR 1 684 POR-BON 3
685 BON-BRU 3 686 POR-BON 1
687 BON-POR 1 688 BRU-BON 2
689 BON-POR 2 676 BRU-POR 3

Its all referenced with the schedule, takes into account the layovers in Brunswick. Should be accurate. Hope this helps.

Date: 12/10/12 03:43
Author: chessiegp39

There might be 3 sets, I don't really know, but there are "no" layover's in Brunswick as of yet. There are 2 dead head moves each day to and from Portland to Brunswick, 1 arrives Brunswick approximately 6:45 am each day and the other leaves Brunswick for Portland in the late evening, somewhere around 10 pm.

James

Date: 12/10/12 06:23

chessiegp39 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There might be 3 sets, I don't really know, but
> there are "no" layover's in Brunswick as of yet.
> There are 2 dead head moves each day to and from
> Portland to Brunswick, 1 arrives Brunswick
> approximately 6:45 am each day and the other
> leaves Brunswick for Portland in the late evening,
> somewhere around 10 pm.
>
> James

There is an approximately 5 1/2 hour layover everyday in Brunswick. From 12:30 to 5:55pm there is a set of equipment idling away in Brunswick. Call it what you want, but thats long enough in my mind to be a layover. In that time frame there is a complete POR-BON round trip.

There are 3 sets involved. Quickly look at the schedule.
At 12:30 a set running as 681 arrives in BRU.
At 12:30 a set running as 683 and is halfway between its Haverhill and Exeter stops. Due into POR at 14:05.
At 12:45 a set running as 684 is scheduled to depart POR. At just fifteen minutes after 681 arrives in BRU it is impossible that it can be the same set that was 681. The Brunswick Branch is roubghly 16 miles, and then there's a 10 mile run on the main, 25 miles plus a shove move in 15 minutes, not possible.

Like I said earlier. 2 sets make two trips a day into Boston. The third set is making 1 trip into Boston account a 5+ hour layover in Brunswick. I believe there is a mileage clause in the NNERPA/AMTK contract, hence the ultimate need to store trains in BRU to stop the deadhead...Because of this I assume these sets are rotating between the schedules to keep even miles on them and keep the grumpys at Amtrak happy.

Date: 12/10/12 07:09

Thanks for the update. I was unaware of the afternoon layover.

James

Date: 12/10/12 10:48

Its pissing a lot of Brunswick residents off, since the power is left running in HEP mode. Too many fumes and noise and apparently they can feel the vibration. If only they hadn't been so argumentative about a train shed, then they could shut the power down while laying over at BRU. Funny how that works, isnt it? (sorry, I should have warned that I REALLY don't like NIMBY's.)

Date: 12/10/12 13:12

Yes, the whole debacle about the train shed is a shame. I wouldn't think that would happen in Maine, but I guess so. Usually Maine residents are very low keyed. For Pete's sake, its bringing tourists into the area. I'll never understand.

James

Date: 12/10/12 13:23

The state of Maine is 2 states, Portland Area and everyone else. The Portland Metro area is responsible for something like 48% of the states GDP, and is essentially Boston Metro area... Us "real" Mainers are a bit more laid back.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds