# 314---03 mins. late

# 316---16 mins. early

FROM TEXAS

# 22---42 mins. early

Date: 12/10/12 11:52
Re: Some St. Louis Arrivals
Author: floridajoe2001

To: MP16

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you agree, the southbound trains from Chicago are early ONLY because of the upgrades done to the southbound track from Alton to St. Louis. Even some trains that ARRIVE LATE at Alton, arrive EARLY in St.Louis.

The Northbound train are never early at Alton because they still use that bumpy, bolted, northbound track at 30MPH or less.

Just wondering if any work has started on the northbound track yet(?). It's kind of miserable to have these trains going 79 in one direction and 30 in the other.

Joe

Date: 12/10/12 12:23
Author: cutboy2

Impressive.

Date: 12/10/12 12:24

has that southbound trackwork eliminated choke points? Or just better, faster track? Thanks.

Date: 12/10/12 12:53
Author: floridajoe2001

To: Cutboy2

I grew up here, and on my trip back to St. Louis last summer, I inspected this track closely at many points from Alton-to E.St.Louis (my childhood stomping ground).

The south bound track has been completely rebuilt as part of the Illinois Stimulus Grant. It looks beautiful with new concrete ties; rail; and ballest.

There never was any "pinch points" to speak of along this route; that is, until you get into East St. Louis, and crossing the Mississippi into the downtown St. Louis station. But the vast majority of the route (90%) is very straight, good for 79mph (or faster with modern signals and 4-quadrent gates).

The northbound main sits adjacent to the 79mph southbound line; but looks disgraceful in comparison, It's my understanding that northbound trains can't use the upgraded line because it is signaled in only one direction (southbound).

I hope St. Louis fans (and there are lots of them), will give us more information. After all, in a few years, this route will be the "Talk of the Nation".

Joe

Date: 12/10/12 13:33
Author: 4552

With all this track work, no speeds have been increased (except the small portion of 110mph) and no bottle necks have been alleviated. The only thing that has been improved is ride quality. Between STL & Alton main #1 (UP owned) is the only rebuilt track. Main #2 is owned by the KCS (Wann to WR) and as far as I know the track work is only a UP/State of Illinois deal and does not include the KCS.

Date: 12/10/12 17:10

Thank you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds