Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Passenger Trains > Hotel near new Amtrak Station in Norfolk?

Date: 12/11/12 09:09
Hotel near new Amtrak Station in Norfolk?
Author: Mudrock

Does any one now a good priced hotel within wwalking distance of the new Norfolk Amtrak Station?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Date: 12/11/12 09:25
Re: Hotel near new Amtrak Station in Norfolk?
Author: jimpress

Nothing in "walking distance" that you could safely come from in other than day light hours. There is the Sheraton Waterside Hotel and the Norfolk Marriott of which is close to the TIDE Lite Rail witch would get you their safely. Hope that will help. Jim P. Norfolk

Date: 12/11/12 14:02
Author: GenePoon

jimpress Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing in "walking distance" that you could
> safely come from in other than day light hours.
> There is the Sheraton Waterside Hotel and the
> Norfolk Marriott of which is close to the TIDE
> Lite Rail which would get you their safely.

======================================================

"The Tide" could get you from train to hotel...but almost always, not back to the station in time to catch the train.

On Mon-Fri and Sunday, the train will be long gone by the time the first light rail operation begins at 537am (1031am on Sunday).
On Saturday one connection will exist, only from NSU Station, two minutes away. May as well walk.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/12 14:08 by GenePoon.

Date: 12/11/12 14:32
Author: toledopatch

Where does the schedule for the new Norfolk service appear on Amtrak's Web site?

Date: 12/11/12 15:49
Author: knotch8

Look under Tickets or Schedules and type in NFK for Norfolk.

And they have the brand-new printed schedule on-line here: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/541/711/Norfolk-Train-Service-Schedule-Amtrak.pdf

Nice to see renowned photographer George Hamlin featured on that pdf schedule. That's his picture of Amtrak Train 50, The Cardinal, I think, at the Manassas station where it says, "Featuring New Service, Norfolk, Virginia." Those are the hills of the east side of the Shenandoah Valley in the background, between Manassas and New Market and Harrisonburg, VA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/12 15:54 by knotch8.

Date: 12/11/12 17:57
Author: toledopatch

knotch8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look under Tickets or Schedules and type in NFK
> for Norfolk.
>
> And they have the brand-new printed schedule
> on-line here:
> http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/541/711/Norfolk-Train-
> Service-Schedule-Amtrak.pdf
>

Thanks for the link. I wanted to see the whole timetable, not just the schedule times for city pairs, and the timetable accomplishes that.

The 4:50a weekday departure time seems ungodly early for the only train of the day on the route. I realize that such an early departure facilitates arrival in Washington by 10:00a, but as noted above it also means that public transportation is unavailable for those who might otherwise find it useful. One can only hope that this becomes more than a one-train-per-day route.

Date: 12/11/12 20:41
Author: JimVB

Might consider the Tazewell Hotel and Suites--close to the Tide, only slightly farther from the station than the Sheraton and Marriott but likely much less costly. Gets generally good reviews; folks I know have had good experiences there.

Date: 12/12/12 06:25
Author: tq-07fan

I asked about the station location a while back and looked at some hotel options http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2903409,2903409#msg-2903409. If you are leaving on the train in the morning Hampton Roads Transit http://www.gohrt.com/ does not operate that early so unless you want to walk a taxicab is unavoidable. There are many hotel choices on Military Highway which also sets you up for good bus connections to Downtown and The Tide. It is an estimated fifteen minute taxicab ride. I am staying at the La Quinta there because it allows me to ride the bus down to Military Tide Station to get the 967 route that I want to ride where if I stayed Downtown I would have to ride the afternoon trip on that route. The La Quinta also gets good reviews, but I have not been there myself, yet.

Jim

Date: 12/12/12 06:36
Author: njmidland

OK, what are the possibilities of doing a circle trip? If I take the train that gets to Newport News a little after 6 pm where does the connect bus to Norfolk put me in relation to the Norfolk Amtrak station?

Tim

Date: 12/12/12 07:20
Author: JimVB

Beginning today, the connecting bus will stop at the new station location at Harbor Park with easy access to the Tide.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds