Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Passenger Trains > "Bright Train, Dismal Day..."

Date: 12/15/12 08:25
"Bright Train, Dismal Day..."
Author: aussiehinz

After a couple consecutive days of clear skies and mild temperatures in Chicago, this morning's weather was anything but for the arrival of Amtrak's "City of New Orleans," carrying the new "Pullman Service" equipment on the tail end from New Orleans. Heavy gray overcast and a steady drizzle had settled in overnight and made for a dark start to the day. Still, as your faithful observer of all things interesting here at "MH," I greeted the inbound train a couple of blocks west at Halsted Street and took these photos of the train coming off the St Charles Air Line Ramp, then reversing to back east on the BNSF Chicago SD to Union Station.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. #58 comes off the S.C.A.L. at Halsted Street and proceeds west to clear Union Avenue Interlocking for its back up move into C.U.S. Today's train sported Amtrak "Heritage" #66 on the point.

2. Four PV's made up today's "Pullman Service" consist on the rear of #58.

3. Reversing toward Union Station, ex NYC Observation Lounge "Hickory Creek" carries the markers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 08:35 by aussiehinz.

Date: 12/15/12 08:27
Re: "Bright Train, Dismal Day..."

4. Another view of "Hickory Creek" as #58 backs toward C.U.S.

5. The four rear PV's on #58.

6. Clearing Union Avenue on its way into C.U.S.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 08:33 by aussiehinz.

Date: 12/15/12 09:38
Author: CJ

I saw #66 heading west on Tuesday morning as the trailing unit on Amtrak 49. The NYC observation car was on the rear of 49 that morning as well. If they made it all the way to New Orleans and back, that's a quick trip!

Chris

Date: 12/15/12 10:48
Author: trainman630

aussiehinz Wrote:
>
> 6. Clearing Union Avenue on its way into C.U.S.

Hey Aussie, you hooping up orders again? Great shots, but don't they ever run any freight in Chicago?

Date: 12/15/12 11:14

Yup, they certainly do! I just don't post 'em on the Passenger Forum.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/15/12 11:15
Author: HoggerMatt

CJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw #66 heading west on Tuesday morning as the
> trailing unit on Amtrak 49. The NYC observation
> car was on the rear of 49 that morning as well.
> If they made it all the way to New Orleans and
> back, that's a quick trip!
>
> Chris

You probably saw #822 on Tuesday on Amtrak 49. #66 was in Texas on Amtrak 22 on Tuesday.

Nice photos Mark!

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 11:16 by HoggerMatt.

Date: 12/15/12 15:30
Author: andersonb109

Here's the same train in somewhat more sunny conditions ready to head north from New Orleans.

Date: 12/15/12 18:52
Author: Genesis803

And you caught Superliner coach 34040 on the rear of 58. That's the coach that was left hanging off the bridge in the Sunset Limited wreck at Bayou Canot 9/22/93. Kind of a celebrity I guess as the image was broadcast around the world.

Date: 12/15/12 21:04
Author: Abqfoamer

Always liked the understated, quiet elegance of New York Central equipment.
Santa Fe, on the other hand, ran excellent passenger service, but had more of a western "yahoo!" image.

Date: 12/15/12 22:20

< "And you caught Superliner coach 34040 on the rear of 58. That's the coach that was left hanging off the bridge in the Sunset Limited wreck at Bayou Canot 9/22/93. Kind of a celebrity I guess as the image was broadcast around the world." >

Wow, I didn't realize that. Sadly, I remember that disaster very well.

Date: 01/04/13 05:51
Author: ACR_Ted

Here is a photo of the Hickory Creek that I took off Roosevelt Road in Chicago a *long* time ago as a teenager.

Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.093 seconds