Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Passenger Trains > Reaching the Beach (almost)

Date: 12/16/12 11:24
Reaching the Beach (almost)
Author: mario_puzo

A few months ago, I took a ride on the Expo Line which is the latest addition to Los Angeles' growing rail transit network. It follows the right of way of Pacific Electric's old Santa Monica Air Line which was removed in the 80's after the need for freight service dried up. What is now Metro, bought the right of way in the early 90''s as a means to bring rail service to the Westside, after ambitious plans for a subway under Wilshire Boulevard ran into opposition from NIMBY's.

Today, the tables have turned and both the expo line and subway will eventually reach the beach in Santa Monica.

1) An inbound train runs down the median of Exposition Boulevard, approaching the USC stop.

2) The tracks are very close to the USC campus.

3) When I took the photos, the line had only been open for a week, so Metro staff were out in force polishing the station fixtures and providing information to disoriented riders.

Date: 12/16/12 11:32
Re: Reaching the Beach (almost)

1) The old LRV's have updated route diagrams showing Expo line stops. I really like the graphical treatments, marketing, and branding that Metro applies to their work.

2) Looking down the line to the Culver City station. When I rode, Culver City was not yet open.

3) Beneath one of the bridges lies a reminder of the Pacific Electric.

Date: 12/16/12 11:36

1) A bike path parallels a good portion of the route.

2) The end of the line (for now) at Culver City.

3) Barring NIMBY lawsuits, the next phase of construction is funded and will extend the line from Culver City to the beach in Santa Monica.

-Jarrett

Date: 12/16/12 16:57
Author: railstiesballast

There are some neat little tile floor insets at some stations that tell the history of the right of way. Worth noticing.

Date: 12/16/12 17:14
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice photos Mario. I wonder why they left the bridge with the old rail on it, directly under the new one?

Date: 12/16/12 20:36
Author: joemagruder

Preserving a bit of history, or public art, I think. It was deliberate.

Date: 12/17/12 13:10
Author: TomPlatten

They should ask Disney to "whip up" a red car replica to sit on the bridge. Wait a minute--I take that back--it would only be destroyed!

Date: 12/17/12 15:23
Author: PHall

TomPlatten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should ask Disney to "whip up" a red car
> replica to sit on the bridge. Wait a minute--I
> take that back--it would only be destroyed!

It would have to be a very short Red Car, not a whole lot of vertical clearance there!
Of course a Red Car from ToonTown might work!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0701 seconds