Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Passenger Trains > Question on the Canadian

Date: 02/13/13 08:18
Question on the Canadian
Author: davefowlerpB

I am planning a trip across Canada in March or early April. Can anyone tell me which direction would be better for the scenery or both directions are good. Thanks.

Date: 02/13/13 08:23
Re: Question on the Canadian
Author: IC_2024

davefowlerpB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am planning a trip across Canada in March or
> early April. Can anyone tell me which direction
> would be better for the scenery or both directions
> are good. Thanks.

I like the eastbound journey with a morning arrival in Jasper. If you can, book by Valentine's Day (as posted earlier on here) so you can get the 50% off fare. Still quite a bit of $, BTW...

Date: 02/13/13 08:34
Author: andersonb109

Eastbound no longer arrives Jasper in morning with the later Vancouver departure. But eastbound gives you all day in the mountains. For the rest of the trip, it doesn't matter much. Regardless, as discussed a few days ago here, do not plan any onward flights the day of arrival. I was 6.5 late last week due entirely to freight congestion. Better safe than stranded as VIA will not cover a hotel or airline re-booking charge. But if you are connecting to another VIA train (Amtrak doesn't count) they will re-accommodate you and put you up for the night if necessary. There was another thread a few days ago about the advantages/disadvantages of certain bedrooms etc. Have a good trip but be prepared for a very slow go.

Date: 02/13/13 15:18
Author: DrawingroomA

IC_2024 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> davefowlerpB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
>
> I like the eastbound journey with a morning
> arrival in Jasper. If you can, book by
> Valentine's Day (as posted earlier on here) so you
> can get the 50% off fare. Still quite a bit of $,
> BTW...

Because of serious problems with their Website - and to appease a lot of furious would-be passengers - VIA has extended the sale until the 19th. This is the third such sale this year, so there's a good chance there may be more of them.

I generally prefer the westbound trip because the best scenery is last. Having said that, on my next trip in a few weeks I am flying west and taking the Canadian east (because of the availability of a free Executive seat on Aeroplan).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0681 seconds