Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > Anybody remember these? (Rail Travel Card)

Date: 04/23/13 09:42
Anybody remember these? (Rail Travel Card)
Author: RevRandy

Back before AMTRAK (and slightly into its first months, IIRC) this was a more-or-less universal way of charging on trains. Operating out of an office in Union Station, Chicago, Rail Travel Credit Agency offered "This card will be honored by participating railroads for all rail and Pullman transportation (except commutation) and meals, and beverages where state laws permit."

The beauty of the card was that charges were often billed 2 or 3 months after the fact.

Date: 04/23/13 10:20
Re: Anybody remember these? (Rail Travel Card)
Author: GenePoon

RevRandy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The beauty of the card was that charges were often
> billed 2 or 3 months after the fact.

==============================================

And THAT was because the billing was done manually. Yup: by a clerk with a ledger
and a typewriter.

Date: 04/23/13 11:42
Author: 1200v

Certainly do remember making good use of mine.
At this remove, I can't remember the limitations. Seems to me the SP didn't accept and that some lines didn't accept for on train purchases.

Date: 04/23/13 11:43
Author: retcsxcfm

I think Classic Trains had an article about them.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/23/13 12:18
Author: Notch16

Santa Fe accepted mine for meals in the diner as late as 1970. It was a very special feeling for a 17-year-old to have such specialized buying power!

~ Bob Z.

Date: 04/23/13 12:25
Author: KCCharlie

I don't know about the SP but I can't recall any railroad in the Kansas City area that didn't honor the RTC.
I rode often and ate well on the Rail Travel Card. The Santa Fe, Union Pacific, and KCS were happy to take them and I also used it on the Rock Island and some other roads outside of KC as well. Ah, the good old days.

KCCharlie

Date: 04/23/13 12:42
Author: RD10747

I still have my card...no matter on what RR it was used,
or for what service used, the billing invoice was always
from 'Auditor, AT&SF Ry, Topeka, Kans....

Date: 04/23/13 14:05
Author: ghCBNS

In Canada I had something similar....the Canadian Pacific Credit Card....not only could it take me across Canada....but 'round the world.

I never got to use it on an CP Ships Ocean Liner to Europe nor a CP Air ‘747 to Tokyo or Hong Kong but I did put it to good use on CP Rail’s Atlantic Limited and RDC Dayliners....along with the occasional trip on The Canadian and CP Air ‘737s....Also numerous CP Hotel stays.

I also had the joint Canadian National - Air Canada Credit Card....Only wish now I had kept these piece of plastic as a souvenir after they were discontinued with the popularity of new Chargex (VISA) and MasterCharge cards. The CNAC Card eventually became enRoute then Diners Club Card.

Date: 04/23/13 15:05
Author: Ptolemy

It also shows a more trusting age: no controls on whether the card was valid at all, or whether the person had the ability to pay. That was taken in good faith.

Date: 05/21/13 22:55
Author: poffcapt

CP Air; Seems they were very competitive. Didn't the government put the blocks on to help out their own airline?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds