Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Passenger Trains > Semaphores signal the Chief

Date: 05/06/13 12:34
Semaphores signal the Chief
Author: walstib

The Southwest Chief passes a pair of semaphores west of Raton, NM in late April.

Date: 05/06/13 20:06
Re: Semaphores signal the Chief
Author: cutboy2

The most excitement the area will see all day. Probably protected trains for 80 or more years.

Date: 05/07/13 01:01
Author: mp51w

Between Shoemaker and Watrous, NM.

Date: 05/07/13 04:15
Author: abyler

That is a pathetically short consist. Where is the rest of the train? Doesn't it usually have 3 or 4 coaches?

Date: 05/07/13 06:43
Author: Phil1

I wonder what that car that looks ex Santa Fe is bringing up the markers? When I worked this train as a TA in the late 1980s we could have only 2 coaches plus the old "10" car which was an ex Santa Fe High level with 32 seats and the dorm quarters for the crew. I suspect this shot is in the slow or off peak season. There was a time the coaches ran ahead of the lounge and diner because there was no attendant for the "10" car so whoever worked the 11 car also served those riders. The 12 car next to the lounge was for the long hauls like LAX to CHI or KAN or CHI to LAX .The 11 car had the "shorts" and the 10 car the overflow if any. Many trips that was car had no revenue Pax.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 05/07/13 06:58
Author: DavidP

AByler Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> That is a pathetically short consist. Where is the rest of the train? Doesn't it usually have 3 or 4 coaches?

Usual consist is three coaches, but can get scaled back to two if bookings are low. Same for the CZ and Capitol which have identical consists.

Phil1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder what that car that looks ex Santa Fe is
> bringing up the markers?

Looks like LA-based PV Salisbury Beach which is former B&M. Picture is likely from the one of the four PVs heading east for the Grand Central event this weekend.

Dave

Date: 05/07/13 07:34
Author: Cumbresfan

DavidP Wrote:
> AByler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> ----
> > That is a pathetically short consist. Where is
> the rest of the train? Doesn't it usually have 3
> or 4 coaches?
>
> Usual consist is three coaches, but can get scaled
> back to two if bookings are low. Same for the CZ
> and Capitol which have identical consists.
>
>
> Phil1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I wonder what that car that looks ex Santa Fe
> is
> > bringing up the markers?
>
> Looks like LA-based PV Salisbury Beach which is
> former B&M. Picture is likely from the one of the
> four PVs heading east for the Grand Central event
> this weekend.
>
> Dave

Picture was from westbound #3 on April 26 and taken from vestibule of the former Burlington dome Silver Splendor now operated by LA Rail (LARail.com). The other cars were the Salisbury Beach and Pacific Sands. The Silver Splendor is a great car with a great owner who was our host for two weeks on the Southern Comfort trip.

Date: 05/07/13 13:08
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Everytime we have ridden or seen #3 and 4, it has nine cars. Never seen any change to that. If 500 more people wanted to ride it everyday, they would have 9 cars.

Date: 05/07/13 15:43
Author: ATSF3751

cutboy2 Wrote:
> The most excitement the area will see all day.
> Probably protected trains for 80 or more years.

Maybe. Maybe not. The line is one really major washout away from extinction. I hope there is a long term solution in the works.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds