Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Hotels near Amtrak SEA

Date: 05/07/13 13:07
Hotels near Amtrak SEA
Author: ATKCentralCoast

Am planning a trip to Seattle on the Coast Starlight and would like recommendations on hotels near the King St. Station. Also planning a tour of the Boeing factory near Everett. Would Sounder get me near there or is renting a car a better idea? Thanks in advance.

Date: 05/07/13 13:12
Re: Hotels near Amtrak SEA
Author: F40PHR231

I like http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlestadium/ -- It's a short walk from King St Station, modern with a rooftop pool, and there are some pubs in the area for food since it's next to the stadiums.

Date: 05/07/13 14:19
Author: wa4umr

I guess it depends on what you want to spend. There is a Best Western in Pioneer Square, just a short walk from the station. I stayed at the Best Western on Taylor Ave., N about 5 years ago. Nothing fancy but everything worked and it was clean. It was about a block from the monorail and a block from the Space Needle. (I sort of cheated when I was out there in February. We stayed with my friend's relatives.) There are hundreds of places to chose from. I just mentioned two. Someone in the area can advise about going to Boeing.

John

Date: 05/07/13 14:19
Author: Notch16

A new eatery's opened just south of Safeco Field: Henry's First Avenue. Very nice menu for a sports bar, friendly staff.

Second the motion on Silver Cloud.

~ BZ

Date: 05/07/13 14:35
Author: jdb

The Silver Cloud is about as close as you can get to AMTRAK, King Street Station. Cascade passengers from Portland can walk to football and baseball games so you should be able to make it also. They don't carry the luggage you have though. (but you won't be as drunk getting back to the station)

You can get the tour of Boeing, plus transportation, from many of the hotels in Seattle. I think the Silver Cloud is on the list of stops they make.
Do a Google search for "Seattle Boeing tours." And, you need advance reservations.

Use Google Maps and zoom in on Seattle. When you get to where the King Street Station shows, enter hotels and you can see what is there and how far from the station. Click on each and you can see if rooms are available and the rates.

The Sounder train is Everett/Seattle in the AM and Seattle/Everett in the PM so not a good choice for a tour of Boeing. AMTK Cascades might have something that would get you in the area. Mukilteo would be closer than Everett but you are still a few miles away.

I prefer the Sound Transit bus Seattle/Everett over the Cascades and Sounder. Faster and less expensive. I use the Sound Transit (route)510 to Everett and then Everett Transit around Everett. I don't think an Everett bus route serves where the tours of the Boeing Plant start so you are back to taking a tour from the hotel in Seattle or renting a car.

jb

EDIT: I've stayed at the Best Western in Pioneer Square. No problem with the hotel, I didn't feel comfortable with the people I met along the way. The walk is about the same as to the Silver Cloud.

EDIT-EDIT: The Starlight is due into Seattle at 8:37. At that time of the evening I don't think I would care to walk to any of the three hotels mentioned. They are all 0.6 to 0.7 miles. Take a cab.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/13 18:16 by jdb.

Date: 05/07/13 14:52
Author: GenePoon

ATKCentralCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Also planning a tour of the Boeing factory near Everett. Would Sounder
> get me near there or is renting a car a better idea?

Boeing gives only sketchy information about public transportation:

> Limited public transportation is available from Seattle, Everett and surrounding communities:
>
> King County Metro Transit
> (206) 553-3000
>
> Everett Transit
> (425) 257-8803
>
> Community Transit
> (425) 353-RIDE or (800) 562-1375;
>
> Sound Transit (train)
> (206) 398-5000 or (888) 889-6368

Link:

Future of Flight Aviation Center and Boeing Tour, Directions

The Boeing plant tour entrance is actually in Mukilteo, which is also the nearest Sound Transit station.

Last time I went, I drove.

Date: 05/07/13 15:00
Author: abyler

Hilton Doubletree Arctic Club.

Super nice historic hotel, and its just 4 blocks away in Pioneer Square area.

Date: 05/07/13 16:57
Author: Notch16

It's a bit of a hike. But absolutely an amazing structure, yes.

~ BZ

Date: 05/07/13 17:33
Author: CarolVoss

By all means be sure to check out the Chihuly garden of glass exhibit right under the space needle. Gorgeous stuff!!
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 05/07/13 22:25
Author: truxtrax

CarolVoss Wrote:
> By all means be sure to check out the Chihuly
> garden of glass exhibit right under the space
> needle. Gorgeous stuff!!
> C.

And should you be inclined to visit Tacoma the former Union Station has a Chihuly exhibit that it every bit as spectacular. My choice would be a rental car since I've found if you shop around you can find some great deals and you have so mush more flexibility.

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 05/08/13 15:11
Author: abyler

Notch16 Wrote:
> It's a bit of a hike. But absolutely an amazing
> structure, yes.
>
> ~ BZ

Its only a bit of a hike to someone who doesn't do any walk longer than their house to their garage.

Date: 05/10/13 05:45
Author: cph

The area around the King St. station used to be rather sketchy, especially after normal business hours. I haven't been in Seattle for about 10 years, so maybe it has been cleaned up somewhat....

Date: 05/10/13 06:53
Author: BRAtkinson

In August 2011, I came in on the Starlight and stayed at the Panama Hotel, about 5 blocks from the station. Arriving after dusk, I took a cab, just to be safe. The next morning, it was a quiet 1 or 2 blocks walk to a business area and light rail station.

The Panama Hotel is a throwback to the 1920s. It was built as a Japanese businessmans hotel and has all the amenities of the 20s...a sink in your room. Period. Community toilet and shower down the hall. Community room if you want to watch TV. Free breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. Note, it felt a little odd walking up a flight of stairs right at the street entrance to get to the 'front desk'.

The price was definitely right. When I get back to Seattle again, that's where I'll go.

Here's a picture of King St station right out of my window.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/13 06:56 by BRAtkinson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds