Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Passenger Trains > "Amtrak #4, with 4 PV's"...

Date: 05/07/13 21:17
"Amtrak #4, with 4 PV's"...
Author: aussiehinz

As noted in the earlier thread by "Carondelet," there have been numerous private car moves recently around Chicago, in conjunction with both last weekend's Kentucky Derby and the upcoming Grand Central Terminal Centennial celebration in New York City. Today, Amtrak Train #4, the "Southwest Chief," arrived with four cars on the tail end, all heading east tomorrow on #48 to play a part in the GCT festivities. Here, for anyone interested in PV's, are a few views of "Salisbury Beach," "Pacific Sands," "Overland Trail," and "Tioga Pass" as the equipment was turned in front of "MH" following an ahead of schedule (for a nice change!) arrival of #4.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. PV "Salisbury Beach"

2. PV "Pacific Sands"

3. PV "Overland Trail"

Date: 05/07/13 21:17
Re: "Amtrak #4, with 4 PV's"...

4. PV "Tioga Pass," with a happy crowd on the platform. Welcome to Chicago, fellows!

5. "Tioga Pass" and the three accompanying cars back around the passenger wye toward 18th Street for a trip through the washer.

6. Another view of "Tioga Pass."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/13 21:22 by aussiehinz.

Date: 05/07/13 22:53
Author: CrudPunko

Great to see these guys out and about. I was privileged to ride in both Pacific Sands and Overland Trail last May while car hosting on the Grand Canyon Limited. I've included are a pair of photos showing the inside of Overland Trail, including the barbershop, from that May 2012 trip.

All four PVs are part of the LA Rail group which has been very successful in marketing their fleet of cars. The way I understand it, each car is individually owned but under the LA Rail moniker which is basically a marketing co-op for the owners.

"Overland Trail" was featured in the "Tricked Out Trains" Travel Channel show that aired in March. The car features a barber shop and when I was aboard was staffed by a barber.

These four cars are like a mini-streamliner. You have a pair of sleepers, a lounge car, and the Tioga Pass would be able to feed the group with their onboard galley.

Very cool. Thanks for posting these.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/13 23:01 by CrudPunko.

Date: 05/08/13 06:02
Author: njmidland

Would the B&M sleeper, Salisbury Beach, ever been at GCT in regular service in a New Haven train?

Tim

Date: 05/08/13 07:52

Yes, indeed it would. I was once told by the car's owner that it's original assignment was on the GCT to Portland ME segment of the "State of Maine," so it will be a homecoming of sorts for the car.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/13 08:10 by aussiehinz.

Date: 05/08/13 12:50
Author: retcsxcfm

Gee Aussie,
You got to see those cars two weeks ago and you will see them again next week.

Uncle Joe

Date: 05/08/13 16:53
Author: aronco

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee Aussie,
> You got to see those cars two weeks ago and you
> will see them again next week.
>
>
> Uncle Joe

The cars will not be returning via Chicago, but rather via Washington DC and New Orleans.

Date: 05/08/13 18:58
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> retcsxcfm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gee Aussie,
> > You got to see those cars two weeks ago and you
> > will see them again next week.
> >
> >
> > Uncle Joe
>
> The cars will not be returning via Chicago, but
> rather via Washington DC and New Orleans.

Have a pleasant journey !

Date: 05/08/13 20:22
Author: bobs

We saw you taking those from your balcony...nice location to have a condo!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds