Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Passenger Trains > ACE dining car service?

Date: 06/10/13 17:52
ACE dining car service?
Author: RuleG

The first sentence in the article states:

"Over the next year, the ACE train is expected to add dining cars."

This somewhat misleading statement conjures up visions of enjoying a sumptuous meal while the train negotiates the curvaceous alignment of UP's line over Altamont Pass. However, before you Western Pacific fans get too exited, later in the article is the following:

"Other highlights from the proposed budget:

» Introduction of two new café cars serving light snacks and drinks, $4.9 million"

Here's the full article:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130609/A_NEWS/306090312

Oh well, even the snack bar is a nice amenity on one of America's longer commuter rail journeys.

Date: 06/10/13 18:08
Re: ACE dining car service?
Author: djansson

About damn time. That's along haul from San Jose to Stockton and a food service car would be a welcome addition. Given the Bombardier car layout, converting the lower level into a cafe service area; no seats there, just counters at each end with the center of the car used for storage and food prep - one or two attendants and people taking their goodies back to their seats.

A Money Maker!

Date: 06/10/13 18:13
Author: coaststarlight99

I'm surprised they haven't had snack car service from the get-go. That is a long ride if you're on the train the entire way.

Date: 06/10/13 18:27
Author: TechnologyJeske

I've been dieing to ride this train... But no weekend schedule ;(

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/11/13 05:12
Author: jeffgeldner

The West Coast Express has a "coffee bar"- on each train operating between Mission and Vancouver, BC. A concessionaire staffs the car, located on the lower level of one of the bi-level commuter cars. Unlike some commuter trains operating between NY and Connecticut, rule G is in effect- no beer, wine and/or cocktails are sold.

Jeff Geldner
Yosemite National Park, CA

Date: 06/11/13 06:08
Author: ATSF3751

jeffgeldner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The West Coast Express has a "coffee bar"- on each
> train operating between Mission and Vancouver, BC.
> A concessionaire staffs the car, located on the
> lower level of one of the bi-level commuter cars.
> Unlike some commuter trains operating between NY
> and Connecticut, rule G is in effect- no beer,
> wine and/or cocktails are sold.
>
> Jeff Geldner
> Yosemite National Park, CA

That is odd, given the fact that liquor sales are very profitable. Railroads loved the revenue provided by a full service lounge car...it helped to offset the losses from dining cars. I'm reasonably certain Amtrak also get pretty good revenue from bar sales.

Date: 06/11/13 10:27
Author: cchan006

ATSF3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is odd, given the fact that liquor sales are
> very profitable. Railroads loved the revenue
> provided by a full service lounge car...it helped
> to offset the losses from dining cars. I'm
> reasonably certain Amtrak also get pretty good
> revenue from bar sales.

Alcohol is quite popular in Capitol Corridor and Surfliner trains. What I found surprising while riding non-commute hour trains were a significant number of women who drink booze to relax during the journey.

Not sure if alcohol would be popular for commute hour only trains like ACE, especially in the morning. I suppose it might make sense for the evening trains, where passengers who have become friends on ACE trains sit in a group and are in a party mood.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds