Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > NJT problems on Bergen County line

Date: 06/21/13 11:41
NJT problems on Bergen County line
Author: pal77

From NJT web page

At approximately 12:15 p.m., Bergen County Line Train 1255 operating from Hoboken to Ridgewood struck a tractor trailer at the Hobart Place crossing in Garfield. As a result, the locomotive only of the six-car train derailed, and the tractor trailer overturned. Bergen County Line rail service is currently suspended at this time, and alternate service is being provided.

NJ TRANSIT is advising customers of the following:

For travel from Hoboken Terminal and Secaucus Junction to Bergen County Line stations (except Rutherford), customers should take a Main Line train (toward Suffern) to Ridgewood, and board a shuttle train to Bergen County Line stations.
For travel from Hoboken Terminal and Secaucus Junction to Rutherford Station, customers should board an outbound Main Line train (toward Suffern) to Kingsland Station, and then take a shuttle bus to Rutherford.
For travel to Hoboken Terminal and Secaucus Junction from Bergen County Line stations (except Rutherford), customers should board an outbound train (toward Suffern) to Ridgewood Station, and then take a Main Line train to Hoboken/Secaucus.
For outbound travel toward Suffern or inbound travel to Hoboken/Secaucus from Rutherford Station, customers should board the shuttle bus to Kingsland Station, and then take a Main Line train to their final destination.

I have been on a train the hit a Tractor trailer in that exact spot, its a blind curve for the train and tracks are super elevated I put money on the trucker not pullin the landing gear all the way up and he got hung up. I just hope injuries were minimal. In '94(I think) the trailer wrapped around the GP40 like a paper towel the tractor got tossed up the row 50' and driver some poor soul from Alabama was standing there with a dazed look on his face(I guess to be expeted after what happened). Well should make for a nice commute home!

Date: 06/21/13 12:25
Re: NJT problems on Bergen County line
Author: chess

The Conductor and Brakeman were not injured. The engineer suffered minor injuries. Not sure about the truck driver. That train, 1255, is the 11:35am out of Hoboken. I work train 1113, the 11:38am Main Line train to Suffern and I heard all of this go down on the radio. This after a fatality last night near the same spot...

Date: 06/21/13 14:31
Author: joemvcnj

Channel 7 (local WABC) later said it was a low-boy trailer, which are banned at this crossing.
I think the idiot will likely delegate blame to his GPS. He is already getting blamed for not calling 911 right away when he got stuck.

Date: 06/21/13 15:21
Author: Lackawanna484

chess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Conductor and Brakeman were not injured. The
> engineer suffered minor injuries. Not sure about
> the truck driver. That train, 1255, is the 11:35am
> out of Hoboken. I work train 1113, the 11:38am
> Main Line train to Suffern and I heard all of this
> go down on the radio. This after a fatality last
> night near the same spot...

I'm glad to hear the injuries were minor. Being in the locomotive, rather than a cab car, definitely made a difference in the outcome, I'm sure.

There are several trucking companies, truck repair facilities etc in the area. You can see them from the train south of the Garfield station. From the satellite map, it looks like Hobart is also a back entrance to the large Wal-Mart, etc nearby.

Date: 06/21/13 15:34
Author: Lackawanna484

NJ.com has pictures of the mess. Garfield fire had a squirt tower on the scene, which was probably a real good idea, given the amount of fuel in the area.

PL42AC 4020 took a pretty good hit. The tractor and trailer took a roll.

<http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2013/06/nj_transit_train_derailed_after_striking_truck_stuck_on_tracks_in_garfield.html#/0&gt;

The Bergen Record adds some additional detail, including the observation that the driver attempted to "wave off the train" after his pylons became caught on the crossing. Didn't bother to call 911, though.

http://www.northjersey.com/garfield/Northbound_train_collides_with_truck_in_Garfield.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds