Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago Family Hotels, on Metra or near Hyde Park?

Date: 07/16/13 10:53
Chicago Family Hotels, on Metra or near Hyde Park?
Author: tq-07fan

My sister her husband and two daughters will be driving to Chicago this weekend. She is trying to find a nice family type place in a good safe area. Although it not a must she is up to riding Metra into Chicago. They are looking to see the Field Museum, The American Girl Doll Store and then probably drive to Legoland on Sunday morning. Any suggestions on a good family hotel.

She says TIA!

Jim

Date: 07/16/13 11:00
Re: Chicago Family Hotels, on Metra or near Hyde Park?
Author: symph1

Date: 07/16/13 14:15
Author: illini73

Considering that Legoland is in Schaumburg near Woodfield Mall, they might consider staying in Evanston, either at the Best Western University Plaza or one of the two Hiltons there. Definitely a safe neighborhood, and lots of restaurants/shops within walking distance of all three hotels. It's 25-30 minutes to downtown on Metra, about an hour to Chicago and State on the CTA Red Line (American Girl Place), a bit more to Roosevelt Road (Field Museum), and then a 45-minute drive to Legoland on Sunday.

Date: 07/16/13 16:27
Author: robj

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My sister her husband and two daughters will be
> driving to Chicago this weekend. She is trying to
> find a nice family type place in a good safe area.
> Although it not a must she is up to riding Metra
> into Chicago. They are looking to see the Field
> Museum, The American Girl Doll Store and then
> probably drive to Legoland on Sunday morning. Any
> suggestions on a good family hotel.
>
> She says TIA!
>
> Jim

I'd try to check what is on the special events calendar for Chicago. It is a PIA city and if there is something going on where you want to stay, double that. On a hot sunny weekend day, anywhere near the lake, triple that. If there is a Cubs game, Evanston, Yikes, Sox, Hyde Park Yikes.

Bob

Date: 07/16/13 16:46
Author: joemvcnj

2 years ago, I saw them hold #30 3 hours for a 6 hour late #8.
It was Lollapalooza, and there was not a hotel room to be had for 40 miles.

Date: 07/16/13 19:57
Author: DNRY122

I'm typing this at the Best Western University Plaza in Evanston, where they have two computer stations if you don't want to schlep a laptop. The BW is withing walking distance of Davis St., where both CTA and Metra have stations. It's even closer to the Dempster CTA station, but Davis has more facilities. When I came back from Dearborn on the afternoon Wolverine on Saturday, there was a mob of St. Louis Cardinals fans who had come in on Amtrak and were causing much congestion at the CTA Blue Line terminal near Union Station, and then had to transfer to the Red Line to reach Wrigley Field. After the Addison stop (near the ball park) the train had a lot more room. So yes, if there's something going on, better be aware in case it may affect your visit.

Date: 07/16/13 20:40
Author: MEKoch

I suggest the Obama Hyde Park at 5046 S. Greenwood (Obama's house). Seriously, I lived in this house in the late 60s. And it is in much better shape now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds