Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Passenger Trains > More From the (rear) Window of a Train: Albany-Boston

Date: 08/08/13 14:25
More From the (rear) Window of a Train: Albany-Boston
Author: bandob

The opportunity to ride a PV on the rear of the Boston Section of the Lake Shore Limited was too good to pass up. Here's some views July 31.

Departing Albany-Rensselaer

State Line Tunnel (?)

CSX "Swat" train in W. Springfield. What is this for?

B&OB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/13 04:15 by bandob.

Date: 08/08/13 14:26
Re: More From the (rear) Window of a Train: Albany-Bost

Crossing the CT River into Springfield. Is the SWAT train needed here?

A Springfield shuttle arrives as we pass.

B&OB

Date: 08/08/13 14:28

Springfield Station and some CSX switching.

B&OB

Date: 08/08/13 14:30

Passing the Westbound.

Worcester Station.

B&OB

Date: 08/08/13 14:31

Through Worcester, freight and MBTA yard.

B&OB

Date: 08/08/13 14:34

Lastly, between Back Bay and South Station.

The Mount Vernon would be placed at the bumper post in South Station, and provided a comfortable room for the night.

B&OB

Date: 08/08/13 14:42
Author: jp1822

Nice photos!!!

It's just too bad they single tracked this line. And what a contrast between stations - Albany-Worcester-Springfield. Springfield hasn't changed in years. Hopefully one day this station will get the TLC it needs. One also has to wonder about the Springfield Shuttle trains. A two passenger consist, with one car being the cab car. Equipment could be much better utilized elsewhere - cab car, P42, etc. As a shuttle service, this line should have experimented with some sort of DMU. The DMU project involving the Vermonter was DOA, but for shuttle service here - it would have worked. However, I know that Amtrak likes to have standardized equipment.....

Date: 08/08/13 15:30
Author: RevRandy

and to remember the ruin that Worcester Union Station was in 1968

Date: 08/08/13 18:03
Author: DECA34

Great pictures

Date: 08/08/13 18:08
Author: inCHI

Neat photos, thanks for posting.

Date: 08/08/13 19:26
Author: railrob

The SWAT train is in w. Springfield yard. It is used by csx and their Rapid Response Team to train police SWAT teams how to secure and control a passenger train.owned and maintained by the Firefighters Education and Training Foundation and based in W Springfield.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/09/13 00:48
Author: DavidP

Nice shots as always! The restoration of Worcester Union Station is wonderful, although unfortunately the city has been unable to attract retail or hospitality tenants. The main hall is used for occassional functions, while the rail functions are on the upper concourse. The platform with lights in the picture is the former B&M/New Haven side, which hosted through trains such as the State of Maine and East Wind, as well as the B&M's Worcester - Peterboro, NH local. In later years the NH moved their New London RDC locals to their freight house to avoid paying for use of Union Station. The former B&M tracks have been pulled back from the platform to lessen curvature, but are still used by PAR - CSX run-throughs and the P&W's Gardner local.

Dave

Date: 08/09/13 02:44
Author: annimac

Beautiful photos of unseen parts of a route I love to take! Thanks!

Date: 08/09/13 04:56

Thanks for the kind words. I realized I have not posted the NYP-Albany "From the (rear) Window.." section yet, will get to them this weekend.

B&OB

Date: 08/09/13 07:18
Author: kingman

Your right , I remember Worcester station back in the early 80's. We used to drive by on our way to hockry tournaments up in Mass and it is just amazing what they have done to restore it. Just a thing of beauty now,

Date: 08/09/13 07:55
Author: cforssi

Very nice. Thanks for posting. I have never ridden this section nor have I visited any of the stations photographed. It is nice to see this.

Date: 08/09/13 12:34
Author: coach

I've always wondered why the NYC and B&A used those tiny little back plates on their searchlight signals?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds