Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Passenger Trains > San Diego trolleys in Argentina (with semaphores)

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/28/13 07:35
San Diego trolleys in Argentina (with semaphores)
Author: PERichardson

Mendoza, Argentina, located on the east side of the Andes at the far western edge of the country, has a new 13.5 km trolley line, using former San Diego trolleys. Using a preserved right of way formerly used by the 5 ft 6 in gauge F.C. General San Martin, which closed in 1992, an entirely new standard gauge line was built. Ties are wood. The line was the British-owned Buenos Aires & Pacific until nationalized in 1948, when the name was changed. There are miles of existing right of way that can be used should the need to extend the line arise.

The first San Diego cars arrived in February 2011, being trucked over the mountains from the Chilean port of Antofagasta. They now have 16 cars. The cars have been renumbered, albeit still in the 1000 series. Full service began in mid-2012. A single ride, at the current official exchange rate, costs about US$0.45. There are 15 stops from central Mendoza to the end of the line at Gutierrez. Shops are at Luzuriaga.

Here are a few images from August 26. The signal bridge, as well as a few other semaphores were saved as historical artifacts.

Mendoza also has a quite extensive trolley bus system, using former Vancouver, BC buses.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/13 10:53 by masterphots.

Date: 08/28/13 07:38
Re: San Diego trolleys in Argentina (with semaphores)

A few more shots.

Date: 08/28/13 07:42

And the last ones.

Date: 08/28/13 08:22
Author: mcfflyer

Nice photos! And I have to chuckle with it being winter down there in South America.

Also interesting how streetcars from the USA have made it down below the equator . . . again.

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 08/28/13 08:55
Author: robj

Very nice, great photos and a great tribute to the city. Preserved the line and got something up and running.

Bob Jordan

Date: 08/28/13 09:20
Author: jimB

I love the preserved signals and signal box! Great photos of an operatioon I didn't know about.

Jim B

Date: 08/28/13 09:30
Author: DNRY122

Wow! Thanks for the photos! I knew some of San Diego's original light rail cars had gone south, but I didn't know there were that many and that the line is "up and running". To us Pacific Electric fans, Argentina is where the 1100s (used mostly for Pasadena and Monrovia-Glendora service), 732-759 (Hollywood cars, which also ran on the Monrovia-Glendora line), and double-ended PCCs (Glendale-Burbank) went. Moving back to present day, it's a tribute to DueWag (now a part of Siemens) and the San Diego maintenance dept. that after 30 years of service, the 1000-class cars still have a lot of miles left in them.

Date: 08/28/13 09:39
Author: F40PHR231

This is so cool!

Date: 08/28/13 10:00
Author: shoretower

I love those British lacework signal gantries with the huge semaphores.

Brr! Looks cold down there! I was in Argentina in April a few years back,and it was late fall -- confusing. The sun set early and the last leaves were falling from the trees. I came home to beautiful springtime. That's almost worse than jet lag (of which there is none, since Argentina is on Atlantic Time (+1 hour from EST).

Date: 08/28/13 10:06

To reply to a couple of the above posts. Yes, it was cold, around 30F at night and not much better in the morning when I took the photos.

And, in addition to the PE cars, some of the Key System bridge units also went to Buenos Aires. One is preserved at the museum campus at Lynch station. Also a Hollywood car that was used into the 1990s as a line car. Plus a couple of PE steeple cab freight motors are there. All of that stuff was converted to third rail for use on the Urquiza line.

Date: 08/28/13 10:45
Author: JimBaker

Those semaphore signals on the Bridge and Tower are somewhat confusing.
There is only two tracks but all four signals only face one way! What gives?
Last question, do they work ??

--Jim Baker

Date: 08/28/13 10:46
Author: march_hare

Great shots, and thanks for the info on an operation I'd never heard of.

Here's a question--how long has it been since the US exported used streetcar equipment? 50 years, maybe? 60?

Date: 08/28/13 10:46

They're from the old wide gauge line and when the track was lifted they were left as artifacts so to speak. Not operational. As far as facing one way, that was the last signal before entering the passenger station and large shop complex located just beyond where I was standing. The shop is still in use by ALL for it's lines north to San Juan and east towards Buenos Aires. And, they pretty much use Alcos on all trains, freight only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/13 10:50 by masterphots.

Date: 08/28/13 11:29
Author: railwaybaron

Unbelievable! Thanks!

Date: 08/28/13 12:18
Author: darkcloud

Unfortunately this Mendoza line has only a 20% on time rate.

Date: 08/28/13 12:23

darkcloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately this Mendoza line has only a 20% on
> time rate.

As if anyone gives a blank. They run on 20-minute headways and I doubt if anyone even looks at the posted schedules. This ain't Switzerland we're talking about.

Date: 08/28/13 12:59
Author: darkcloud

masterphots Wrote:
> darkcloud Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Unfortunately this Mendoza line has only a 20%
> on
> > time rate.
>
> As if anyone gives a blank. They run on 20-minute
> headways and I doubt if anyone even looks at the
> posted schedules. This ain't Switzerland we're
> talking about.

There's no crying in railroading, Argentina. So you think it was a home run? If the unions call a third strike, it could be out of service. Any pics of the diamond, or the station they dugout? And wasn't this the route of the Umpire Builder?

Date: 08/28/13 13:09
Author: BobP

masterphots Wrote:

>
> And, in addition to the PE cars, some of the Key
> System bridge units also went to Buenos Aires.
> One is preserved at the museum campus at Lynch
> station. Also a Hollywood car that was used into
> the 1990s as a line car. Plus a couple of PE
> steeple cab freight motors are there. All of that
> stuff was converted to third rail for use on the
> Urquiza line.

Any current pics of these floating around?

-Bob in North Hollywood, CA

Date: 08/28/13 14:41
Author: 2720

Great Photos Alan!!
Nice to see some of the cars I once rode
still making a living!!
Mike

Date: 08/28/13 19:45
Author: tq-07fan

Do you happen to have any pictures of the former Vancouver trolleybuses? Especially interesting to know if the trolleybus route crosses the light rail at grade anywhere. It is so cool that two electric transit vehicle fleets from separate cities but built at roughly the same time frame could end up together in the same city thirty plus years later. They seam like a perfect match.

Jim

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds