Home Open Account Help 143 users online

Passenger Trains > NYC Transit Employee to retire at 91

Date: 08/30/13 17:41
NYC Transit Employee to retire at 91
Author: RuleG

Here's a guy who loves his city and is an enthusiastic believer in the transit system for whom he worked. Very inspiring!

“I think New York is the greatest city in the world, and the greatest thing about it is the transit system.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/nyregion/after-65-years-of-helping-to-move-the-city-its-time-to-slow-down.html?ref=nyregion

Date: 08/30/13 19:38
Re: NYC Transit Employee to retire at 91
Author: SN711

Actually, BART recently turned 40 and there are still a decent number of employees, especially engineers that have been around from the beginning ( or before in the late 1960's) that like their jobs enough to stick around into their 70's. They actually are still working hard.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/30/13 21:53
Author: coaststarlight99

I hope I'm happy and working at 91. Heck, at 71!

Date: 08/31/13 06:34
Author: Lackawanna484

I'm sure the trustees of the pension plan are delighted he didn't retire at age 50, or whenever the plan's rules allow. His contributions and the contributions that the TA made on his behalf are going to help support other retirees.

Date: 08/31/13 07:33
Author: shoretower

"The TA", as I still call it, is something of a special place. People go to work there, and tend to stay. Wages and benefits are good, the work isn't often too demanding (at least, if you're not a manager). I'm a bit uncommon in that I arrived in 1982 and left five years later, in 1987. And no, I wasn't fired. I took a job with a consulting firm that paid quite a bit better than what I got at the TA.

Many of my friends and co-workers from those days are still working at the TA. It can be an amazing place.

Date: 08/31/13 13:44
Author: amtrakin

Gary, On the Operations side of BART, we have several Train Operators and Station Agents with 40+ years, and, still going strong !

Date: 08/31/13 17:36
Author: stone23

The PATCO (PA-NJ) Hi-Speed line #1 train operator has worked there over 40 years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds