Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Passenger Trains > NYC Subway 12-22-2013

Date: 12/23/13 12:43
NYC Subway 12-22-2013
Author: norm1153

I flew out to NYC for the last of the NYC Vintage/Museum train run for this year. They run a portion of the M Line, and of course, have to keep the schedule. So it's all business, and moving right along. I recorded audio only, instead of bringing my camcorder. So I just put a still in the file, and rendered it out as a video file. There are two clips; the first is a platform clip as the train departs Queens Plaza. The second is riding in the 1000 car between two stations. The oldest car in the train was built in 1931.

Since this is "current" in a way, I put it here, but maybe I should link from the Nostalgia board also.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. I thought a little audio might be something different.

It was interesting watching the unknowing passengers, also. Some gaped in astonishment as the train rolled into a station. Many did board, and were suitably respectful, just taking it all in. A few actually stepped back from the platform, afraid to board, waiting for the next train.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/23/13 15:02
Re: NYC Subway 12-22-2013
Author: sig292

Very nice, thanks for posting it. I just close my eyes and I'm there.
Ken Gear

Date: 12/23/13 15:39
Author: Abqfoamer

Looks like the NYCT Christmas Trains are as much fun as one of the summer Nostalgia runs I rode, that usually go to Coney Island or Rockaway beaches.

Yes, it's so entertaining to watch people's priceless reactions when an old, totally unexpected train appears, that are so familiar-looking to us 1950s NYC kids.

IIRC, Chicago's CTA runs similar holiday trains.
Other cities?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/13 15:45 by Abqfoamer.

Date: 12/24/13 00:09
Author: DNRY122

What an electric railway should sound like--reminds me of the Network Southeast trains in England, where the lines on the south side of the Thames are powered by 750 VDC third rail, and the older cars sound like American interurbans, complete with the Westinghouse air compressors.

Where does one find out about the New York Nostalgia Special trains? One of my musical correspondents will be performing in NY this summer, and if there's a vintage subway train running in mid-July, it would make the trip from Los Angeles more desirable.

Date: 12/24/13 11:25
Author: Abqfoamer

DNRY122...
MTA/NYTM Nostalgia Rides run on summer Saturdays, once each in June, July and August.

Per 2013 Spring/Summer Calendar, e.g. (2014 schedule not out yet):
June 29 to Coney Island.
July 13 to Bronx's Pelham Bay Park.
August 25 to Bronx's Van Cortlandt Park.
My '05 train ride originated at Manhattan's 7th Ave/57th St, Q Line, over Manhattan Bridge to CI's Stillwell Ave semi-new terminal, by the beach.

Reservations, advance payment required.

Visit Transit Museum website for complete tour, museum, membership info:
www.nytransitmuseum/nostalgiarides
718 694-3451

You'll have a blast!

Merry Christmas

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/13 15:49 by Abqfoamer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds