Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 12/27/13 01:36
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/20 19:53 by F40PHR231.

Date: 12/27/13 05:45
Re: Down the hill it goes
Author: Out_Of_Service

really really nice photo ... fiir shiiirrrr ... now for some dumba$$ reason that I have no explanation for I have never ridden a San Francisco cable car even though I visited the city twice ... once in 2000 and again in 2007 ... my Foote is so far up my BUTT on this issue I feel the leather of my sneaker in my esophagus just about to choke my throat

Posted from Android

Date: 12/27/13 05:51
Author: jcaestecker

Beautiful photo Chris! That intersection is where you hop off to go visit the Cable Car Powerhouse and Museum. Just walk north (downhill toward the Bay) about 3 blocks. Fascinating place to spend an hour or so. I highly recommend it.

And if you can afford it, I also recommend a stay (or at east a meal) at the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel, a corner of which is visible at the right of the photo.

Cheers,

-John

Date: 12/27/13 06:11
Author: PERichardson

Seeing a photo like this makes me nostalgic for the years I lived in the City.

Date: 12/27/13 06:25
Author: stone23

Great pic Chris! And to think, in WWII I was an Army MP in that town and had to WALK up and down those hills!

Bob

Date: 12/27/13 06:33
Author: Normanroger

Do you know the financial picture for the cable car system? I bet it shows a profit. (I am going back and forth with some TO members on the viability of
LD Amtrak).

Date: 12/27/13 06:53
Author: joemagruder

There's a sign missing from the roof of that building on Market at the end of California...

Date: 12/27/13 07:01
Author: TonyJ

joemagruder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a sign missing from the roof of that
> building on Market at the end of California...

Good catch!

Date: 12/27/13 07:24
Author: RevRandy

joemagruder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a sign missing from the roof of that
> building on Market at the end of California...

My daughter, when she worked for A.C. Neilsen, worked as an assigned consultant for a food company in that building -- and being off-spring of a railroad family delighted in its history. She always called it by its historic name and found most people would identify it as such more than its more recent names.

Date: 12/27/13 08:36
Author: GenePoon

FIXED!

Date: 12/27/13 11:35
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pic there Chris!

Date: 12/27/13 12:46
Author: Kimball

How does it approach slowly? They only have one speed, right? Is the car coasting to a stop?

Date: 12/27/13 13:11
Author: bmarti7

The grip man has released the cable and probably has two sets of brakes applied - wheels and track

Date: 12/27/13 13:56
Author: bmarti7

My fondest (and wildest) memory of riding the cable cars was the night we were returning to the St. Francis Hotel from Fisherman's Wharf. There was a fire alarm at the St. Francis as we were heading downhill from Nob Hill on Powell. The grip man stopped the car in the middle of an intersection (probably Sutter). As the fire trucks went around us they didn't slow down. The ladder trucks were especially interesting with the rear driver swerving around us. We still couldn't move because of all the equipment in the street so we walked down the hill. False alarm - no smoke in the hotel.

Date: 12/29/13 20:50
Author: Abqfoamer

Normanroger...One night in the early '70s I hopped on the running board of a cable car shoehorn-jammed with other flatland touristers, paid my 25 cents.
Had a BLAST!
SF cable car rides are not to be missed.

I understand the fare now is $5 a ride, and business still booms.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds