Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Passenger Trains > Bussed Passengers

Date: 03/01/14 09:17
Bussed Passengers
Author: BlaineM

A question for those who know. Seems there have been many bussed passengers lately mainly trains #7 #8. On those and other trains what happens to sleeper passengers. Are they being compensated for lack of sleeping quarters and meals? We are working on a West bound trip on #7 and #27.
Thank you.
Blaine
American Fork Utah

Date: 03/01/14 10:10
Re: Bussed Passengers
Author: The_Chief_Way

if you are bustituted you would be entitled to a partial refund of your room charge

Date: 03/01/14 10:37
Author: railstiesballast

The one time I was bused around a BNSF transcon derailment they gave everyone on the bus a Kentucky Fried Chicken lunch and drinks, and they did give a partial refund for loss of the sleeping room from Winslow to Albuquerque.
Giving everyone a lunch probably saved an hour or more in travel time and nobody was left behind because they sought out a particular restaurant.

Date: 03/01/14 11:02
Author: SomethingsInMyEye

One time Amtrak "compensated" our very, very late train with Kentucky Fried Chicken also... but I'm vegetarian. Nothing for the other vegetarians either so we bought our own lunch in the diner. The happiest guy on the train had not spent the last 20+ hours sitting on the train but had just boarded one station before the chickens. Upon receiving his "compensation" he exclaimed "Amtrak can be late all it wants if I get chicken!" Even those who do eat at KFC probably wouldn't prefer the whole train to smell like fried chicken. This is the one time I would have preferred to have been bused.

Date: 03/01/14 15:43
Author: DNRY122

Then there's the "City of New Orleans" running north out of NOLA. Many of the coach passengers bring their own food aboard, and some of it smells mighty good!

Date: 03/01/14 16:57
Author: korotaj

As we descend into the future and our third world status becomes ever more certain I can see big problems arising if Amtrak is expected to provide feed for chickens and goats, along with passengers. Bussing might be out of the question for those passengers with livestock.

Date: 03/01/14 17:05
Author: sums007

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then there's the "City of New Orleans" running
> north out of NOLA. Many of the coach passengers
> bring their own food aboard, and some of it smells
> mighty good!

Back in the 80's, someone told me that the train was known as the "Chicken Bone Express" by the Chicago yard folks. Lots of "leftovers" left all over the train, when it was pulled back into the coach yard for "maintenance."

Date: 03/01/14 18:20
Author: jo-tower

Shortened to "The Bone".

Date: 03/01/14 19:25
Author: The_Chief_Way

this thread was about bus rides....
but the "chicken bone" nickname extends back to before Amtrak took over
from the ICRR if I'm not mistaken......
there is also an East Coast "chicken bone" which refers to AMTK No.s 89/90
and the nickname comes from the popularity of passengers bringing their
own food on board which quite often is fried chicken

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds