Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Passenger Trains > Pullman Journeys Question

Date: 06/23/14 17:25
Pullman Journeys Question
Author: MaderaFlyer

Having decided to fly out to Nola and take Pullman Journey's to Chicago, I've noted on their website they promote both Heavyweight and Streamliner accommodations for sections. Maybe I've missed any discussions on the consist, but I've not heard much about the heavyweight sleepers. Before I call to make a reservation, I'd appreciate any insight from those who done the trip about the accommodations. Maybe the heavyweights come out in the summer when demand is much higher? Big difference in fares based upon direction. Northbound is actually about the same as Amtrak, while southbound is painfully high for the few trips that have space on the dates I'd checked. I'll take that as a good sign for revenues, but would rather depart Chicago but not for $1200. Thanks for the insight!

Date: 06/23/14 17:33
Re: Pullman Journeys Question
Author: agentatascadero

I'd say call 'em up, their phone number is listed on their website. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 06/23/14 18:00
Author: andersonb109

Maybe they are referring to the open sections that were standard in heavyweight sleepers. Because all the photos I've seen as well as the one time I rode all cars were light weight design.

Date: 06/23/14 18:15
Author: eee

We have lightweight sections in the Colorado Pine. Heavyweights are still more than a year away....

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they are referring to the open sections that
> were standard in heavyweight sleepers. Because all
> the photos I've seen as well as the one time I
> rode all cars were light weight design.

Date: 06/23/14 18:32
Author: kd0r

As someone else suggested, call them. They enjoy talking about their product and will answer your questions factually, with a full explanation.
David

Date: 06/23/14 19:01
Author: stash

So handy to have eee here to field questions about his Pullman service!

Date: 06/23/14 19:25
Author: MaderaFlyer

Thanks for the input… Looking forward to the Heavyweights - that will be on the bucket list. Are they going to be assigned to the Chicago-NY service that's been proposed?

Date: 06/23/14 19:32

They will be used in all our services as needed.

MaderaFlyer Wrote:
> Thanks for the input… Looking forward to the
> Heavyweights - that will be on the bucket list.
> Are they going to be assigned to the Chicago-NY
> service that's been proposed?

Date: 06/24/14 06:33
Author: hogtrain

eee - have you ever considered day passengers, such as Memphis to No and return?? Might fill some coach seats for a daylight run.

Date: 06/24/14 07:08
Author: howeld

Tomorrows departure has a bedroom available for anyone looking for last minute deal.

Post about your trip when you get back as my wife and I are doing the same in Oct.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/14 07:10 by howeld.

Date: 06/24/14 07:25

What's a coach? (Just kidding)

We are pretty much filling up everything we have at this point. Many times we can only run two cars, if an extra engine isn't available. But even when we have five or six, it's selling well at the endpoints.

hogtrain Wrote:
> eee - have you ever considered day passengers,
> such as Memphis to No and return?? Might fill
> some coach seats for a daylight run.

Date: 06/24/14 19:01
Author: BruceStikkers

I rode roundtrip a year ago and the open sections are in streamlined cars. Great experience.

Bruce

Date: 06/25/14 05:16
Author: palmland

Let's hope IP lets their PRJ division handle food and business class service on the Hoosier if they win that contract .

I suspect Mr. Ellis has a good idea of what can be done to offer premium daytime service. After all, the Panama Ltd carried a very handsome and full parlor car when I walked through it long ago.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/05/14 07:19
Author: raytc1944

There were lightweight cars with sections. Among the last built were the "Pine" series 6 roomette 4 double bed room 6 SECTION cars
of which I believe Pullman Rail Journeys owns one. They were built in the mid 50s.

Date: 07/05/14 07:24
Author: Jimbo

raytc1944 Wrote:
> There were lightweight cars with sections. Among
> the last built were the "Pine" series 6 roomette 4
> double bed room 6 SECTION cars
> of which I believe Pullman Rail Journeys owns one.
> They were built in the mid 50s.

Yes, the car Pullman Rail Journeys uses with sections is the Colorado Pine, formerly L&N Plantation Pine.

Jimbo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds