Home Open Account Help 148 users online

Passenger Trains > Historic SF MUNI photos

Date: 07/08/14 20:59
Historic SF MUNI photos
Author: coach

Here is a link directly to a slide show celebrating SF Municipal Railway's history. There are some great photos of construction, especially on the "J" line going over the hill--really fun seeing just the gradework, then track laying. This slide show is on the KTVU.com's website.

Enjoy~

http://www.ktvu.com/gallery/entertainment/history-sfs-muni-photos/gCL2q/#5702757

Date: 07/09/14 11:10
Re: Historic SF MUNI photos
Author: timz

Where's that first pic?

Date: 07/09/14 19:40
Author: agentatascadero

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where's that first pic?

Looks to me like the 9th St turnaround (9th and Market Sts), so cars could turn back to their outbound destinations, mostly during rush hours, but also the short turns provided a shorter running time to the carbarn at the end of the duty shift. I'm not positive it is 9th St, but am certain it is in that vicinity. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/09/14 20:31
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>Looks to me like the 9th St turnaround (9th and Market Sts), so cars could turn back to their outbound destinations, mostly during rush hours,

I think at the time of the pic it was part of the Muni's crosstown H line (Van Ness?).

Date: 07/09/14 21:19
Author: agentatascadero

First, I'm assuming that the cross street is Market St, though there should be a ton of traffic visible. Second, the destination sign on the streetcar says "Special Market St". Third, the car cannot be on Van Ness, as Van Ness is a much larger avenue. I'm still comfortable with my 9th St guess, unless this is the entrance to the Transbay Terminal. Hedging my bet, I suppose. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/09/14 22:13
Author: DNRY122

The Muni short-turn wye was and is at 11th St., and it's a remnant of the "H" Line. The only doubt I have is that the street in the photo looks narrower than 11th, but buildings may have changed over the years. Also, the car in the photo is one of the five "Magic Carpet" experimental "not quite PCC" cars that Muni acquired in 1939; one of these, 1003, is preserved at the Western Railway Museum near Fairfield, CA.

The "F" Line opening photo (#7) from 1995 brought back memories of riding Muni 1059, the Boston Elevated tribute car, in the parade--I talked my way aboard one of the VIP cars.

It ran on Dec. 28, 1912, and it ran again on Dec. 28, 2012. SF Muni 1, built in San Francisco and recently overhauled in Pennsylvania, was the star of the show for the Centennial. 1) Here it is turning from Market into 11th St. 2)onto 11th--note the historic trolley bus on the right. 3) Very basic controls--so simple even the Mayor can run this kind of streetcar.

Date: 07/09/14 22:35
Author: DNRY122

1) Looking toward Market St. from 11th, we see two other historic vehicles: 1950 Marmon Herrington Trolley Coach 776 (ex-786) and White gasoline Motor Coach 042 (ex-062 "Coit Tower shorty").

2) Closeup of 776. The 8-Market bus line no longer exists; it was replaced by the F-Market streetcar line (I love taking photos of bus routes that have been replaced by rail service!)

3) This is what the "Magic Carpet" car in the first photo would have looked like in a color photo. Muni 1010 never wore this paint job in its original Muni service, having come to The City in 1948, and arriving in the "green machine" colors like TC 776.

Before going to SF for the Centennial, I checked with Market St. Railway to see if a special streetcar parade (like opening day of the F Line in 1995) was planned. I was told that no, the line has become so busy, Muni didn't was to interrupt regular service for such an event.

Date: 07/10/14 13:03

The streetcar in the first pic seems to be
on the NW side of Market St, somehow.

Next theory: it's at the south end of Stockton St.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/14 16:50 by timz.

Date: 07/10/14 17:58
Author: stash

Looks like Stockton & Ellis to me. Market Street in the background.

Date: 07/12/14 18:24
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Nope. 11th and Market, the stub which is all that's left of the H line.

Date: 07/12/14 18:47

I say Stockton & Ellis on the F line. Market Street plainly visible. Look at the businesses: Anglo bank, Owl Drug, all at the corner. The retail stores (Leeds, Lerners) were on the 800 block of Market; not by 11th Street.

EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
> Nope. 11th and Market, the stub which is all
> that's left of the H line.

Date: 07/13/14 13:13
Re: Stockton St

Aside from the other objections, the shadows
rule out 11th-Market.

Date: 07/13/14 14:06

One can see the Ellis Street traffic signal before Market.

timz Wrote:
> Aside from the other objections, the shadows
> rule out 11th-Market.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/13/14 14:38

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds