> injuries, but states
> some people were thrown from the train into the
> Skagway River. Also
> that the railroad carried 10,000 people on
> Wednesday - is that even
> possible?
>
> /Mitch

I would guess that 10,000 people at the height of tourist season (which this is) would not only be possible, but also quite normal. In 2010 the railroad carried 365,000 passengers.

Date: 07/23/14 18:45
Re: White Pass and Yukon Derailment
Author: Genesis803

I'm a travel planner and book many Alaska cruises. The White Pass railroad is probably the most popular excursion in Alaska. Nearly everyone does it as it is amazingly beautiful.

Date: 07/23/14 19:11
Author: FrensicPic

I rode the WPYR a week ago yesterday (7/16) Skagway to Carcross. Had a great time and look forward to doing it again.

Regarding ridership, the day we were in Skagway, there were 4 cruise ships in port. At 2000-3000 passengers each ship, that is possible. I'm not bothering to look up the actual numbers).

Date: 07/23/14 19:32
Author: train671

Some time back, a member of the WP&Y RR mentioned that only the Long Island Railroad (single track railroad) carried
more passengers then the WP&Y RR which is also a single track railroad. Sorry to hear of the accident. It is truly
a great opportunity to see some pristine country.

Date: 07/23/14 22:32
Author: mwarfel

KTUU.com ‏@Ch2KTUU 3h
Everyone injured in today's #Skagway-#Canada train derailment treated and released: http://bit.ly/1tCE7V1 #ktuu

Editor's note (from KTUU): Buckwheat Donohue with the Skagway Convention and Visitors Bureau has corrected his initial report that the derailment occurred at Mile 14 of the railroad, and that people were thrown into the Skagway River.

Date: 07/23/14 23:02
Author: darkcloud

mwarfel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KTUU.com ‏@Ch2KTUU 3h
> Everyone injured in today's #Skagway-#Canada train
> derailment treated and released:
> http://bit.ly/1tCE7V1 #ktuu
>
> Editor's note (from KTUU): Buckwheat Donohue with
> the Skagway Convention and Visitors Bureau has
> corrected his initial report that the derailment
> occurred at Mile 14 of the railroad, and that
> people were thrown into the Skagway River.

Ted Koppel and Nightline are reporting that Buckwheat has shot off his mouth.

Date: 07/24/14 02:08
Author: andersonb109

"Skagway to Canada." Now that's specific reporting!

Date: 07/24/14 06:21
Author: DavidMKetchum

I found one picture this morning, but cannot find it now. The lead engine appears to be #93 plus one other. All were sitting "upright" but some of the cars were at crazy angles! https://www.facebook.com/RhondaVincentOfficial/photos/a.261079366482.141121.232955536482/10152283771351483/?type=1&theater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/14 06:26 by DavidMKetchum.

Date: 07/24/14 06:56
Author: mikeman

Date: 07/24/14 08:46
Author: exrtc

10,000 per day would not be possible. Even at 500 per train (and they are not that big) that would be twenty trains per day. The math does not work. Also, the derailment occurred just short of the White Pass siding so it is unlikely that anybody got thrown into the river. (see photo)

Date: 07/24/14 09:24
Author: trainjunkie

Looks like it split the south switch at Summit.

Date: 07/24/14 09:39
Author: frntinplate

Shovel Nose takes on a whole new meaning....

Date: 07/24/14 10:35
Author: mundo

Keep in mind that counts are almost always round trip. But even this may be a high count.

Date: 07/24/14 10:43
Author: asheldrake

sorry to hear this news. agree with all other posters, this is a GREAT ride....loved stepping off my cruise ship and walking maybe 100 feet to board the train right on the dock. yes, their seasonal daily passenger load numbers are mind blowing but correct...they know what they are doing and how to do it.

Date: 07/24/14 10:54
Author: livesteamer

Current employee timetable on the White Pass website indicates 11 round trips a day. I believe that most trains runs around 10 cars, plus the every other day Carcross trip of 3-5 cars. That could mean between 500 and 600 passengers per trip. So maybe 5000-6000 passengers per day is a tad bit more reasonable. Make no mistake that is still a sizable feat on a single track railroad that caters to the cruise ship business.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 07/24/14 10:57
Author: africansteam

It will be interesting to find out the cause of the derailment. Having recently traveled the line behind steam engine 73 I can attest that the track work was first rate.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 07/24/14 11:23
Author: agodwin5

Regarding the calculations, when I took the tour,we rode the train one direction and by bus the other. That is you rode the train into Canada and returned by bus or you rode the bus into Canada and returned by trained. The cars were packed on our tour and I would guess that each car held 60 or more passengers. Thus with 10 cars, each round trip of 10 cars would carry 1,200 individuals. Thus we need to know how many round trips were made each day and the number of cars on each round trip. For the trip I was on they had at least 112 to 15 cars.

Date: 07/24/14 19:36
Author: trainjunkie

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds