Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Passenger Trains > A Denver-Glenwood Springs trip.

Date: 07/30/14 19:58
A Denver-Glenwood Springs trip.
Author: symph1

A 100+ year old hotel across a rushing river from the train station; a hotel van meets every train; many people getting on and off the train. Switzerland? Austria? No, Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

1. Engine 5 on #5 Friday, in Fraser
2. Hotel Colorado across the river from the station (EDIT: it's not sideways in my computer--why is it sideways on T.O.?)
3. Hotel van at the station. Could it get any closer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 19:59 by symph1.

Date: 07/30/14 20:02
Re: A Denver-Glenwood Springs trip.

4. #6 arriving in GSC Sunday
5. Rafters from the train
6. Glenwood Canyon

Date: 07/30/14 20:06

7. Mooning the train. But then we stopped right there for a signal. How embarrassing.
8. View...
9. Curvy track allowed this view from my coach. Bonus engine!

Date: 07/30/14 20:11

10. Gore Canyon.
11. Where the Aspen branch used to leave the main line.
12. A reminder of the past in Glenwood Springs.

Date: 07/30/14 20:14
Author: rrpreservation

So the wye at Glenwood has been disconnected?

Date: 07/30/14 20:22

Timekeeping: Friday was sort of OK. We left DEN 45 minutes late, and would have made up 15 minutes of that until we had to wait for the opposing Zephyr at the top of Glenwood Canyon. Lots of freight trains in sidings waiting for us, never the opposite. Sunday, not so good. We left GSC about an hour and a quarter late. Right where they were mooning the train we waited almost an hour for a coal train. We were told that "signaling problems up ahead" caused the delay. At the next two sidings freights were waiting for us, then just before Byers Canyon we had to wait for a very late #5 being pulled by a UP engine. They did keep us informed at every delay, both trips.

Food service: polite calls to get on the seating list in the diner, no problem there. On #6 they got our orders correct; on #5 all the right food was delivered to our table, but not on the right orders. After trading bacon, biscuits, and the like, we all had the right food. The food itself was fine. Our omelets were good Friday, my wife's steak and my chicken were terrific Sunday, green beans done perfectly and seasoned just right.

Heavy load both days--almost full. Denver to Glenwood is a popular weekend jaunt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 20:24 by symph1.

Date: 07/30/14 20:28

rrpreservation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the wye at Glenwood has been disconnected?

I didn't see the west leg, but obviously the east leg has been. Where the tracks still exist, they're way overgrown. Most of it is a terrific bike trail, the Rio Grande Trail. We biked it, with a stop for great breakfast in Carbondale.

Date: 07/30/14 22:55
Author: wa4umr

The picture of the rafters and the mooners reminded me of the first time I went through there. There was a couple in a small boat and the lady was attempting to get, shall we say, "a full coverage tan." I don't think she cared that a train was going buy but then she discovered it was a passenger show and a lot of faces were looking at her. She grabbed a towel or something and covered up rather quickly.

John

Date: 07/30/14 23:05
Author: chakk

The Sunday #5 departed GSC 7 hours late.

Date: 07/31/14 10:13
Author: Torisgod

Photo 2: That's some steep track! ;-)

Tor in Eugene

Date: 07/31/14 10:18
Electric
Author: NewRiverGeorge

This is the first move I have noted where the sprinter electric followed the two P42's. It did the same thing on the Capitol on into Washington DC. Usually it is cradled between the two.

Date: 07/31/14 11:15
Re: Electric
Author: nicknack

The computer is most likely reading the orientation data in the EXIF header of the image file and rotating it for you, but most websites (this, and facebook) do not.

Date: 08/01/14 17:34
Author: chakk

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 7. Mooning the train. But then we stopped right
> there for a signal. How embarrassing.
> 8. View...
> 9. Curvy track allowed this view from my coach.
> Bonus engine!

While stopped, did anyone from the train throw those folks some extra T.P. to "clean up their act"?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds